4 yo twins going into VPK in Aug and can't

They can;t wipe thier butts or dress themsleves...they are my SO's kids and their mom does everything for them...they are not even on a schedule of any kind...they go to bed whenever,eat whever get drinks on their own...never have to finish a meal they can just pick on it all day...of course when they come over my kids are on a schedule...so they follow it..they have no problems with it...they know they dont get up unless they are full because there food gets taken away from the table...they go to bed at 9 with no problems and they dont get drinks without asking....it's a big mess otherwise and they will drink all day and wont ever eat...she's in for a rude awakening when they start VPK...SO has tried telling herbut she wont listen...I'm working on them with them wiping their own butts and getting themselves dressed...but im sure it all goes down the drain when they go back home...should I even worry about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep doing what your doing. They need life skills, that's what you're teaching them.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 4:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I dont mind doing it...but I feel like it;s their mothers job not mine...i should just be reinforcing it...it's frusterating..expecially when I get them on a schedule and like tonight they will go home and she will just start all over again...everytime they come over the first day is ard because they didnt wake up till noon or so and i feel bad for making them go to bed at 9...I wish she would just get with the program!! She's 40 she should know better!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• my 3 yo has it down for the most part and my 5 yo got it when she was 3 as well...they dont even want to try.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Anon, that's baloney, all my kids learned how to wipe their own butts by age 4 - they had to not only to go to school, but because I usually had a baby I was breastfeeding when they were at that age. OP, keep working with them - the more it works for you, the more they'll try when they go home - if you don't try no one will, so kudos to you for doing it!
    Anonymous

• Since they do follow a schedule when they are with you and they do it reasonably well then I think they will do OK at school. It will probably be harder on their mom than them.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:39 AM on May. 23, 2011