What do you do to teach your little ones that bitting others is wrong?

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 5:05 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My best friend lightly bit her little girl back. Seemed to work wonders on Katie.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 5:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Children are smart. The toddler will realized that biting is not an appropriate way to express his feelings. Some toddlers bite because they have seen other toddlers do the same. Biting is just a phase that some toddlers go though.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• *through
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 5:14 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I become their voice. The majority of 2 year olds bite because they are frustrated or angry over something, but do not have the verbal skills to express their feelings. I've seen this time and time again when I was working in the 2 year old room of a daycare, I've seen it in my own kids. IF they bit I would sternly tell them NO BITE! and move them to another area. With my kids I might also flick their cheek while telling them no bite.

Another idea is to watch your 2 year old. There are usually warning signs that they're getting upset over something. My daughter would get flat pissed at her shape sorter because the star piece would NOT fit into the triangle hole. I would watch her try and try and when she started trying to beat the piece in, or just beat on the toy itself I'd look right at her and say: I'm SO MAD! This star WILL NOT fit here! as I was getting down on the floor next to her.

cont
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:42 PM on May. 22, 2011

• cont

Then I'd show her the right place to get the piece to go into the shape sorter.

Another reason kids at this age will bite is because a favorite toy has just been taken away by another child. Again, being their voice really killed the anger. "HEY! I was playing with that toy! Give it back!" while gently taking the toy from the "thief" and giving it back.

These little ones are now experiencing emotions that they've never felt before and really do need our help to label the emotions and give voice to the feelings AS THEY'RE HAPPENING. Getting one of those emotions chart that has a bunch of faces showing different emotions helps sometimes too. The child can point the face that looks like how they're feeling and you can then give voice to the emotion.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:45 PM on May. 22, 2011