Any advice on tantrums with 3 year olds??

Everyday I go through at least 1 tantrum a day with my son. He goes from completely fine to throwing things across the room...He then does this fake cry and follows you everywhere crawling on hands & knees or scooting on his butt...Then just like that its all gone. Any suggestions to help him out. I have tried consoling, talking quietly, and even trying to ask what is upseting him, but nothing seems to work.

mom2sethnlily

Asked by mom2sethnlily at 9:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ignore it. all it is is for attention.
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon, the best cure is to ignore it. It won't be long until he stops. Children know that you run whenever they cry to see if everything is okay so, eventually they will try and use that crying to get their way.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 9:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Ignore it. If he is out of control tell him he will not scream and throw and put him in his room or on a chair...someplace safe until he regains control. It does not take kids long to figure out even negative attention is still attention. The more you ignore it the sooner it will stop.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:21 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Perhaps he has a need not being met. Usually tantrums are triggered by being hungry, tired or overstimulated. Figure out what triggers it and try to catch it before a meltdown occurs.

I would let the tantrum play out, then see if he needs something to eat or is tired.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• put him in his room and tell him when he is done being ugly he can come talk to mommy like a big boy then give him the attention he wanted when he was throwing that fit. if you put him in another room you are not seeing him be "UGLY" you want to see him "handsome" and let him know that hes big he knows he not doing the right thing
    lovingmomof7

Answer by lovingmomof7 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2008