Should I even volunteer to do my son's laundry?

I've been washing both of my sons clothes when they come home for the summer and on Spring/Winter break. Should I continue to do this voluntarily or tell them it is now there duty? I rarely get a thank you and I don't want to embarass them over undies or anything like that. Are there any other moms out there who still was their adult son's clothes?

pjackson01

Asked by pjackson01 at 5:29 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• My son's been washing his own clothes/doing his own laundry since he was 13. Your boys are doing their own at school, right? They should be able to do it at home too.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• make them do their own laundry.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• They are big boys and can do their own laundry.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Why are you obsessed with your son's "undies"?? This is your second question about their underwear. Yikes!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'm not. I just wonder if I am doing the right thing or if other parents of two adult boys are having the same issues.
    pjackson01

Comment by pjackson01 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Seeing that you placed your question under "Adult Children (18+)", I'd say that they are more than capable of doing their own laundry.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Well that depends on how you feel. I run my own household and am perfectly capable of doing my own laundry. When I visit my mother for a week at the end of the week she'll occasionally sneak my laundry away and do it. It makes me feel loved since it's one least thing I have to do. I also have a sibling that is 18 that has lived with me the past few years and occasionally I do the same to him. I don't get thank yous but I know it's appreciated since he does his own most of the time.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 5:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I stopped doing my DD's laundry at 16. If I would have had boys I would have done the same thing. Cut the apron springs. Teach them how to do it them selves.

Answer by louise2 at 5:42 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My son came back home after finishing his degree and did not want me to do his laundry, he specifically told me he would do it and has, he is super neat and organized, something my other two daughters were not!

Answer by older at 7:09 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No..I think it will help strengthen any serious relationship he may have with a girl if his mom reinforces independence. Would be nice for you to know hes all grown. Keep him from regressing...
    MommyQ2011

Answer by MommyQ2011 at 1:22 AM on May. 23, 2011