As a single parent, how long should I wait until I move in with my boyfriend? And how do I approach my 12 year old son about it?

We've only been together 4 months, but sometimes you just know!! But I've been the only parent in my son's life for 12 years. He adores my boyfriend and we've joked about moving in. Things seem just perfect. I know it's fast, but we are ready. How do I talk to my son about it so he gives me an honest answer? He tends to do whatever it is will make me happy, and I want this to be his decision too.

monkeysmom

Asked by monkeysmom at 12:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well I think since you guys already joke about it dat maybe a sign that he most likely will be ok with it. So just sit down with him an talk about it. Straight. He's old enough to have a straight conversation with. Just go over pros & cons and discuss it more with him an not just ask him an dats dats. Know what I mean.
    MyBlessin

Answer by MyBlessin at 12:17 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I think you should talk to your son before you consider it... he's the #1 man in your life, and you should make sure he's OK with it first. Also, make sure you set some guidelines with the new BF before you move in... including discipline for your son, bills, meals, chores, etc. You don't want to move in with this guy & find out he's a slob, or doesn't pay bills on time, or even worse... tries to act like your son's dad. Best wishes!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Sounds a bit quick/ soon to me. Do you have plans to get married (or is that what you'd like ultimately)? How does your son feel about all of this?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:51 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i would really urge you to be together at least a year before you take the step of moving in together or making the relationship more permanent. i know it can feel "right" but after 4 mos, esp with a young son, i would take things very slowly...
    anniekelleher

Answer by anniekelleher at 4:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Ask him how he feels about it. And make sure he knows you want to know his feelings on it, not what you want to hear. If he adores your BF, then the decision may be an easy one for you both to make together. Keep him informed, and let him help make the decisions.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 8:25 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If you are ready to live together, why not get married. You are an example to your child.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2009