Could my 5 yrs. old daughter be going bald?

This evening after her bath I was combing her hair.
After letting her hair dry alittle she comes to me and says mommy my head itches so I look to see what could it be and I notice a small like pea size of a spot of hair missing.
(the size of a pea as if it was flat) anyway I freakout but tried to remain calm. I just told her to not worry about it just leave it alone (she does not know about the bald spot). What could I do for now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Call her doc. in the morning and make an app. Could it be ring worm? Also, I believe there are certain genetic disorders that cause hair loss (could be totally wrong), but it's odd that it was itchy. Just call the doc in the morning. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• Like anon said, it's a good idea to call your doctor in the morning. It could be any number of things. Maybe she's missing some vitamins in her diet?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Does she fidget with her hair? My son would twist hair around and around his finger when he was sleepy, or as he got older, when he was trying hard to concentrate on something. It was always in the same spot, behind his ear. He developed a bald spot there. The doctor said that if he stopped twisting and rubbing on it, the hair would grow back. And it did. He just replaced that fidget with another thing (tapping and drumming on everything until it drove me crazy, but that's another story.)LOL
    I hope her problem is nothing serious!
    penny4j

Answer by penny4j at 10:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Take her to the Dr. It could be that she is twisting her hair out or it could be something serious. A friend of mine's daughter was diagnosed with limited scleroderma. It's a rare auto immune disease. She was given a diagnosis of ringworm and alopecia before finding out the real problem. She described the first spot as a shiny bald spot the size of a dime, as if there had never been hair there at all. If she had redness, scaling or itching it's probably ring worm, but best to get her checked thoroughly.
    MercyBoo

Answer by MercyBoo at 12:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008