Is there some kind of a cough supressent I can give?

My poor DD is 6 weeks old, and has such a bad cough. She coughs so hard her face turns purple, and it wears her out that she just sleeps. Either that, she throws up. :( It's breaking my heart. There's gotta be SOMETHING I can give her, right?

Lillysmomma1024

Asked by Lillysmomma1024 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, I forgot to mention that she's not eating as much as she used to either. She's only eating 2-3 oz. We finally had her up to 4. I don't think she was eating as much as she should in the first place.
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• If she is coughing so bad that her face is turning purple she should see a doctor. Especially if her eating is going down too. Good luck! I hope she feels better soon.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Call the doctor in the morning. Describe her symptoms - what does the cough sound like (a regular old cough, a barking sound, etc), is she coughing up anything or is it a dry cough, how long has this been going on, does she have a fever (now or in the past few days). Let them know that her food intact is down and that she is sleeping a lot and sometimes coughing so much she throws up. They will probably want to see her. GO!

There is nothing you can give her over the counter. There may be a prescription the doctor can give her. But in any case, any illness in a baby this young needs to be checked.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I would use a humidifier in the room and, if she is having coughing spells, try steam - run hot water in the bath maybe and close the door. That should clear her chest so she stops coughing. My son would sleep through the night with the humidifier though.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 9:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Take her to the doctor tomorrow! My daughter had those same symptoms and had RSV! Good luck
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• She needs to see a doctor right away. She is far to young to have a cold like that. She could have RSV or whooping cough!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Took her to the doctor last week when the symptoms started. She wasn't throwing up then. I have a Vicks Cool humidifire in her room, an open jar of vicks in her room, and everytime I shower, I put her in her bouncer and shut the door so she's in the bathroom with me. I use the bulb sucker, and she doesn't have a snotty nose anymore. It's a dry cough.
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I agree with Kaycee14. you should speak with your pediatrician first thing in the morning. Even though you brought her in one week ago, her symptoms have changed, and she doesn't sound to be getting any relief. Don't ever worry about keeping your doctor informed of your child's condition, whether it be day or night. I hope everything is okay.
    Boosa

Answer by Boosa at 11:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• She is too young to have anything for her cough. SO hopefully you bring her back to the clinic tomorrow morning and have her checked out again. Respiratory infections in young infants can get bad really fast because they have such a small airway.
    Right now you could give some Tylenol for comfort and continue to do the other things you have been doing.
    If you notice an pulling in of the skin around her neck or chest or it looks like she is working really hard to breath, and breathing fast (more than 50 times in 1 minute) you need to bring her to an ER.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2008