How take care of a wound on our dog?

Can I use peroxide or alcohol or what?
How do I keep it clean for her, until I take her to the vet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Pets

• You can clean with mild soap and water. Peroxide and alcohol hinder healthy tissue growth. If you wrap it, wrap it losely so as not to cause any swelling. Good luck.
    aggiechristie

Answer by aggiechristie at 11:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• just like you would care for your child. peroxide first time only, if you think you can handle her thru the pain. if you have bactine, that would be better, its not as painful and will clean the wound. I would try to wrap it if you can and keep it clean.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Treat your dog like you treat your child. clean out the wound. use some peroxide. You can use neosporin too. Wrap it up with gaws.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• they have this stuff at pet stores called hot spots. Its really work, and pretty cheap. I use it on my dog whos skin gets really dry and she has a tendency to chew it raw i cut the hair around the wound and put that stuff on it within a day or so she is fine...i know it sounds bad but i never take them to vets for boo boos.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:36 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I agree with aggiechristie. A mild soap and water. Make sure it's really clean. Actually this all depends on WHAT type of wound it is, where it's at and how it occured. But if it's bleeding, you need to apply pressure so that it stops, wrap it in gauze, and vet wrap/coband. I always have at least 2-5 rolls in my house at all times. Don't put peroxide on it, just keep flushing it and keeping it clean until you get the animal to the vet.
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• What kind of wound is it? Where is it and how did she get it? Asking questions cause it matters how you will treat it. What ever you do, keep the wound cleaned using betadine, They use that in surgery to keep the wound from getting infected. Can she lick it? Or chew at it? Try keeping her from doing either till you get to the vet. Using awrap (vet wrap) is good if you can . But not knowing where it is, well, that makes a differance. Hope by today you can find help for her.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Peroxide works really well.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 1:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008