Would you be interested in holding a "Bake Sale for Peace"?

We moms in the Mothers Institute Anti-War, Pro-Peace Moms Group here at CafeMom are looking at a number of ways to promote a dialogue of peace in our local communities. One thing we moms have always done to support causes we believe in is to hold bake sales -- so with that in mind, would you be interested in holding a "Bake Sale for Peace" in your community and if so, what questions and/or suggestions would you have about such an effort/event?

jejstover

Asked by jejstover at 5:45 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Where would the proceeds go??
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:49 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Ya, that should do the trick. Why hasn't Obama thought of that?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:51 PM on May. 22, 2011

• We were thinking the proceeds could go to numerous organizations taking a local, regional and national approach (and of course we would want to take into account who helped sponsor the individual bake sales and who volunteered to bake the goodies and staff the tables, etc...) If the bake sale was done using The Mothers Institute name, a portion of the proceeds could go to that organization (FYI: The Mothers Institute is an organization I founded with the help of several other CafeMoms) and additional portions could be divided up among similar local and regional organizations/groups/events that also work to promote peace. This way our efforts could extend across the entire country!
    jejstover

Comment by jejstover (original poster) at 6:04 PM on May. 22, 2011

• So the various peace organizations get their "portions" (whatever 1-2% that may be, and what are they supposed to do with the money...hold "peace rallies" that do absolutely nothing to change the way Congress votes?! Besides all the "peace rallies" I've seen end up inciting more violence as a means to their end.

Sounds more like a profit making idea for a select few. Also, I never donate money, time or material goods to unregistered charities, and I like to see EXACTLY where their money goes BEFORE I donate!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:10 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Great questions (and valid concerns) LoriKeet. Any local groups that would be involved in helping with the bake sales and/or receiving donations as a result would certainly be worth checking into and selected at the discretion of those doing the work and choosing the recipients. We would suggest that 100% of the proceeds be donated! And the money would be used to promote peace in whatever capacity the individual organizations/groups normally do (i.e. education, mediation, workshops, anti-war/pro-peace legislation awareness, etc...) And for the record, The Mothers Institute is a registered non-profit organization.
    jejstover

Comment by jejstover (original poster) at 6:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I love the idea and am very interested! I like that a bake sale in and of itself is a peaceful, happy thing. Another person pointed out that peace rallies sometimes incite violence but I have never heard of a bake sale inciting violence. Who doesn't like a bake sale, KWIM? Money aside, I think the message is important and spreading the peace/anti-war message is important. This sounds like a great way to do that within ones own community other than handing out flyers. It's hard to think of ways to reach people and I like t his one :).
    SlapItHigh

Answer by SlapItHigh at 6:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Glad this idea resonates with you SlapItHigh and thanks for pointing out how the peaceful nature of such an activity goes hand in hand with the message itself. Also I agree with your point that, money aside, the anti-war/pro-peace message is important enough to find a way (many ways) to spread the word and why I think these bakes sales can/will inspire a dialogue of peace.
    jejstover

Comment by jejstover (original poster) at 9:07 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Any more answers/questions/suggestions regarding the idea of holding Bake Sales for Peace would be much appreciated, mamas!
    jejstover

Comment by jejstover (original poster) at 12:46 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I think it's a nice idea. I'd like to see the proceeds go to Wounded Warriors, or Vets, or something along that line.
    imamomzilla

Answer by imamomzilla at 8:54 PM on May. 23, 2011

• P.S. If you decide to hold the fundraiser in front of Walmart, they sometimes match what you collect and donate it to your charity. At least they used to. Ask the store manager.
    Good luck!
    imamomzilla

Answer by imamomzilla at 9:01 PM on May. 23, 2011