When is an appropriate age for kids to start dating?

I wasn't allowed until 16. But here in California, the kids seem to start 12?! My boys are into sports and have lots of friends from both genders, but it's freaking me out. they are 13 and 14. ~MJ

Asked by IntuitiveMJ at 5:57 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• 16 - group dates.

Answer by meooma at 6:09 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I was aloud to date at any age , i had my first boyfriend in like 3rd grade , but it didnt mean anything , ha . i dont even think we hugged , I was like 12 when i started kissing and stuff . and had a boyfriend for like 6 months , on and off tho . Then at 13 I had a serious relationship with a girl .

Answer by des11987 at 6:11 PM on May. 22, 2011

• 16 for one-on-one dating, but it was middle school when kids started "going out" or "going together." Not sure what it meant, really, because not one of us was ever allowed to go on a date. Guess it was just calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend and hanging out with each other at recess/lunch.

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• In supervised groups until 14 or 15. Alone You have to decide depending on their maturity and responsibility level that you think is appropriate.

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 6:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Mine were allowed on group dates at around 8th grade. At 15 they could go as long as a parent dropped off and picked up (movies, mall etc). At 16 they can date date. They can drive and have to be home by 11.

Answer by gemgem at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2011

• At our house, 16

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Group dates for two years, I would think.

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Reality is the kids that are interested in boys/girls are "dating" in middle school (6th, 7th & 8th where I live),and they are not asking their parents permission. But what does "dating" that mean?? The are texting, passing notes at school and going to school events. Some of them are meeting at the movies or neighborhood parks, pools and malls.

Encourage open communication and the decision should be based on the child. Mine were 13 & 14, when they asked. I said yes, they were supervised.

Answer by sipn_mom at 8:04 AM on May. 23, 2011

• 16 at our house.

Answer by KamiB79 at 10:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

• 16 or 17, i was not until i was 17

Answer by ttk2 at 10:59 AM on May. 23, 2011