Breastfeeding issue

So for the last few days, only ONE of my nipples has been constantly "hard." I am still able to breastfeed from it, but it certainly is an annoyance.

Any suggestions on how to get it back to normal?!

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 6:39 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh and if thats the case DO NOT PUMP the access milk, my lactation consultant said that just pulls more water/milk down toward the breast and then also the body will keep producing more every time you pump so if your pumping to save store milk or anything then stop untill your not ingorged anymore. I was like that for 3 long days and it was so hard for my little girl to latch on, I felt so helpless cause both of mine were like that, atleast you only have one lol. Try to take a hot shower and just let the water run on your breast and that will natrually release some milk. Gl!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Clarification please: do you mean "standing out" therefore easier for babe to get on?
    If that is the case, it might be an annoyance to you, but it's not a prob. Some of us have nipples that are not alike! (Me included!) As long as babe is getting on & getting milk, forget about it!
    (You can also "roll" the nipple a little to help it stand out where it's easier for the latching-on.)

Former baby nurse & nursed 2 of my own, different nipples not-withstanding!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 6:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yep. One nipple at attention, standing out like I've been drenched in ice water... But only one.
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 6:46 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Okay--that's what I tho't you meant. So, just go with the flow!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You might want to start baby on the nipple that is not hard to see if it will become un-inverted. The suckling will stimulate milk production and nipple response.
    IntuitiveMJ

Answer by IntuitiveMJ at 7:03 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Not sure how old baby is but could you be ingorged by any chance? My nipples always get like that soon after my milk comes in cause I just have so much milk.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• LANDENSMOMMYlmk: That could very well be the reason! That side ALWAYS produces far more milk than the other, so I'll have to pay more attention, now that you've drawn my attention to it!

BTW: Baby is 6 weeks old and EBF.
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 1:51 AM on May. 23, 2011