Im 36 weeks pregnant and I went to the hospital last night because I was having contractions.

the doctor checked me I am having contractions, he also checked me and he said I was 4 centimeters dilated but my cervix is still thick is this normal also that he gives me upto 2 weeks the most to go into labor is this normal.

ginger619

Asked by ginger619 at 6:49 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yes it is!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• So it's normal because I never heard of that I have 3 kids and that never happen to me.
    ginger619

Comment by ginger619 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes, this is normal. You can have contractions that don't do much in the way of "opening things up" for a while. Since it's your first, your cervix is likely to take some while to get thinned out & dilate the rest of the way.
    Delivering @ 38 wks would have most women dancing, the last several weeks are hard to get through!
    Just pay attention to what your body tells you--if the contractions change in character (harder, longer, closer together), if it seems the babe has shifted down lower (often causes even WORSE "bladder won't hold anything" stuff), you start having "bloody show"--then get in touch w/ doc.
    Happy pushing!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 6:58 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Sorry, I tho't you were a first-timer, but still, this all is normal.
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 6:59 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes it is with my first child I went into labor at 36 weeks good luck
    kojaksprincezz

Answer by kojaksprincezz at 8:52 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes its normal you will have some contractions depending on what your doing and how much water intake you have had for that day. Stay well hydrated and do over do it and your contractions will taper off. Usually.
    ruqayap

Answer by ruqayap at 10:12 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Thank u I was wondering more about me being 4 centimeters and my cervix still thick if that was normal I know the contractions are it the other that has me kinda wondering ifmthat can be difficulty in labor
    ginger619

Comment by ginger619 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on May. 22, 2011