How many hours do your 6-7 year olds sleep?

My sons bedtime is 8 pm, although it is usually 8:30 when he gets in bed. He wakes up at 6:45 am for school. Lately he has been up until at least 10. He calls me in there to tell me he misses me or his belly hurts or something like that. Sometimes I rub his back for a few minutes to help him relax. Sometimes I crush up some Calms Forte for him to help him sleep. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Our 9YO is on the same schedule and doesn't seem to have any trouble falling asleep at night. Do you think he is getting too much sleep? Or what? Any ideas to help him fall asleep at night?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How old is he? He could just be going through an "I want mommy" stage. I know my six yr. old dd does the same thing at times so we put her in our bed until she falls asleep and then move her into her bed.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• He will be 7 in January. I co-slept with him until he was almost 3 but he has gone to sleep in his bed just fine ever since, for the most part. This phase is lasting awhile...
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my son does that he just turned 6 yesterday he will make up some lie to try to not go to sleep i just tell him he has 5 mins to get to sleep or else it works he falls asleep fast lol but its not til like 9 or 9:30 sometimes 10
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• It's a phase and will pass... my 7 yr old did the same thing a while ago .. we just simply told him bed is bed and to make sure he had everything done before then... if there were achy's ( tucmmy aches etc...) then we would tell him it's just growing pains or his body was extremely tired and needed it's sleep... I have found it's just to reassure the that you are there when they call... it will pass...
    His bed time is 9 p,m now and he gets up at 7:15 am to get ready for school...
    It normally takes him about 5 minutes to fall asleep once he is in bed...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

Don't know why it went to Anon... wow!
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• They need at least ten hours at this age. I agree that it's likely just a phase. Do you think it's from being less physically active, hence less tired, than in the warmer months? Try to get more exercise into his schedule and see if that helps.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:59 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My kids go to bed around 8pm and get up around 6:15 am...I guess that's a lot of sleep, but they need it. School is hard for them and they have a lot of homework and chores plus, playtime in the evenings.
    um, about him wanting to stay up. I'd be strong and set some boundaries. If he seems to need all this extra attnetion, I'd start telling him that he's going to have to go to bed earlier if its going to take him an hour or so to settle down for sleep...that should make him rethink all these emergency needs at bedtime...especially if everyone else is up and having fun and he's in bed at 6pm!
    ilovedogs1967

Answer by ilovedogs1967 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• My son just turned 8 and he takes his shower at 8 and brushes teeth and usually is in bed by 8:30. I am not sure what time he actually falls asleep since his door is shut and I don't hear anything from him after I tuck him in. I wake him at 6:30 and tell him 10 min and he has to be up
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:20 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I've had sleep "issues" with my 6-1/2 year old for years. I've read that they need between 10-12 hours of sleep. Sounds like a lot and it's not a set rule, just a guideline. My son goes to bed at 7:30 and his alarm goes off at 6. If I can manage to get him upstairs by 7, it definitely shows. However, I work full time and it's very difficult to get dinner in and shower. My son goes through this sort of "stage" also off and on. When he starts making excuses to avoid bed (it's almost comical how creative they can be), I send him up early to allow extra time to fall asleep. It usually passes in a few days to a week. If it continues longer, you may want to see if there's an issue at school that hasn't come out. Good luck!
    ZpyMom

Answer by ZpyMom at 7:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008