Is this weird?

my son just turned 2 march 17 and when he talks he says the ending of the word atleast 2times like he will say i want a chip but says i want a chip p p and waits like 2 secs inbetween saying the P sound is that weird? i mean is it a eairly sign of studer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure. I would work on words with him for awhile to see how that goes.
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 6:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• or he says i want milk k k its just very odd to me i guess
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:05 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Not sure, but don't panic. All kids become adept at speech at diff rates. You could ask your Ped if this is an early sign of stuttering, or possibly a hearing-related issue? It may only be that you need to work w/ him some more on saying the words. GL!
    suemayonline

Answer by suemayonline at 7:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• He may just like how the consonants sound or he may just like the feeling of saying them. My younger sister used to do that. She would repeat one sound from the word a few times and when my mom asked her why she did that, she said "'cause I like it." So you may want to ask him first and see if he's just doing it for fun. If not, ask the Ped about it at your next visit or even just call and ask. I would think a stutter would start at the beginning of the word but that's just my opinion. GL mama. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Give it time. My kids all had terrible speech that corrected itself by 5.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:11 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree that he might just like the way the words sound, but ask your pedi. Its worth talking to someone and not worrying over it :)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:29 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Mine did that and I found out he was listening to a song on his little kids cd that did that. But I have heard of other kids doing it too.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:48 AM on May. 23, 2011