Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talk to me about reporting elder abuse in Washington State

My uncle lives with my grandmother. My grandfather died a few years ago and since then he has been terrorizing my grandmother to get her to sign all of her accounts, and the home over to him. He has never held a job and is nearing 50. Everyone is afraid to say something, but if the stories of what's happening to her are reaching me thousands of miles away, I can only imagine what is really going on there. Now he does, take care of her and the house because that's his "job" but he's verbally and mentally abusive to her.

I want to know what would happen if I report him. He lives in the house and has no where else to go and my biggest fear is that if they don't find anything, or my grandmother is afraid to speak up (as has been the case) then afterwords things would get even worse.

Does anyone have any advice or experience? Any legal knowledge? My Grandma is a prisoner in her own home and I wish I could just take her away from there.


Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • You must do something! I'm afraid I don't know all the legalities. Is there no one else in the fam who can intervene? Is there any way you CAN step in & move her to be w/ you? You do NOT want her to be w/ him any longer, investigation or not! And you are correct, that if they don't find anything "bad" enough & she won't speak up & nothing changes, the abuse will prob escalate. Someone should call the local county office to inquire about steps to take, etc.

    Answer by suemayonline at 7:25 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • I'm looking it up right now but I have no way of getting her here. I would in a heartbeat if I could. It absolutely breaks my heart that no one is doing anything for her and everyone can see how withdrawn she's become. He even listens in on her phone calls and can tell when she has called someone or someone has called her when he is gone, then he grills her on why she was talking to them. He won't take her to see family, won't let family come to see her.... I just can't figure out why no one is doing anything! I'm so upset by this, but the LAST thing I want is to make it worse :(

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • would you call CPS on a child you know to be abused? If so, then you need to call to report your granmother's situation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on May. 23, 2011

  • I'm just afraid, that she will be too scarred to say that anything is wrong, and then her situation will get worse after the investigators leave.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 AM on May. 23, 2011