Irony

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/22/new.york.songwriter.suicide/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

They man who wrote the song "You Light Up My Life", the one with the lyrics about you give me strength to carry on, has killed himself.  Granted he was facing 11 charges of rape and his son is on trial for murder.  When something like this happens (this, Michael Jackson's trials, Mel Gibson's meltdowns, etc) does it change the way you look at their work?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:40 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. Chris Brown and R. Kelly too. I dont see how it doesnt...
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:42 PM on May. 22, 2011

• yes because when something like that happens it changes the way you think about them, and every reminder negative things stick harder in out minds then postive
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 7:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

• It changes it some for me. I still like some of Mel Gibson's earlier stuff, before all that came out. But Barbra Streisand and Alec Baldwin? Since they opened their mouths about politics, nope, won't pay to see or hear them ever again.

The song he wrote I associate with Debby Boone who made it famous. Now if he had sung it, it might be different.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 8:02 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No - everyone's prone to depression.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 8:25 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree with DSamuels, this song, no, I too, associate it with Debby Boone. But people who have made it known that they are radical liberals, I will no longer support.   James Taylor WAS my fav. singer; when I found out that he gave a large contribution to Obama, I no longer listen to him and I will not buy any more of his cd's... I am very disappointed in celebrities in general, capitalism has made the majority of them extremely wealthy... check out your fav. celebs @ link below...

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_political_donations/

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:28 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I also agree with DSamuels. The writer of this song ... the guy was 73. Innocent or guilty, he may well have decided he didn't want to spend the last years of his life fighting it out in one courtroom after another. I wonder about things like that ...

I do tend to pay attention to actors/actresses, and just high profile people as far as their politics and how they try to influence people. Some of them have put me off over the years.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Arianna Huffington pundit $5,389 0% 56% 44%

Wow, what a suprise. She must know capitalism pays but liberal rag trash sells.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:54 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Very interesting Wanda! Seems ironic to me, the majority give to dems, the same people who want to raise their taxes, since we are talking about RICH people. I guess they have tax accountants that make sure their tax burden is the smallest it can be legally. I say they should put their money where their mouth is and voluntarily give 1/2 their income to the gov't to help pay off the debt.

Yeah, I won't hold my breath there!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• never heard of the guy, just the song...now if the girl who made it popular did these things it might tamper it for me.

a persons criminal actions do change whither i will buy their CDs, movie tickets, etc. but not their political views (if they can keep from making it more important than their acting/music) cause honestly every person has political/religious views
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Hmmmm, Arnold gave more to dems than repubs - 32% dem and 15% repub. Adam Sandler 100% repub. Guess I'll have to watch more of his movies. Prince 100% repub, still not going to buy his CDs. Ted Nugent 67% D 33% R, that does surprise me.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:28 PM on May. 22, 2011