What do I feed my one year old?

My son just turned one 2 days ago. He is currently on Earth's Best Formula and jar food. I want to take the next step. However, there is a twist. He only weighs 15lbs. & a picky eater. I feel like I don't know what to feed him to help him gain weight without compromising the quality of the foods he is eating. We don't do HFCS or artificial anything. I would love to do veggies, fruits, and meats I guess I just need ideas for how to prepare them so that he can & will eat them. He has 8 teeth, so I need things that are simple to break down. Please tell me what you do. I am open to almond milk vs cows milk I am just a little worried about allergies & the fact that almond milk is only 1o calories per ounce. GIVE ME ADVICE! Thank you!

Hanksmom0510

Asked by Hanksmom0510 at 8:16 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What does the doctor say about his weight? If I were you I might keep up formula a little longer. Along with food. Feed him soft vegetables, mushy carrots, banana, avocado, sweet potato, pasta, cheese, scrambled eggs, wheat toast, meatballs, anything you eat just cut up small.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• It sounds odd to me that you want to feed him natural foods and yet you chose formula over breastfeeding. But yeah, that's not your query: I have a picky eater who is seven years old and only weighs about 30 lbs, so I know about feeding an underweight child and it certainly has challenges over and above normal kids' feeding (which can be difficult enough, anyway, since they can be so very finnicky). I emphasise protiens and healthy fats balanced with fresh fruit and veges: so nuts, eggs, meat, steamed veges and fresh fruit. My little boy starts the day with a two egg ham and cheese omelette, then has nuts and cream cheese and crackers with fruit at school, then after school he has nutella sandwiches, with a dinner we all share of meat, pasta or rice and steamed veges. For a one-year old, you'd have to modify that, but focus on the high calorie healthy foods like meat and eggs and when he's old enough, nuts.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:24 PM on May. 22, 2011

• homemade chicken nuggets, fish sticks, spagetti, fruit with dip or youguat, vegs with dip, my girls love cooked carrots with maple syrup and brown sugar so they taste sweeter, youguat, ham, mashed pts or even baked pts, just try to make things fun, add dips, make fruit smoothies.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 8:25 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Any healthy soft food can be offered.  Cut it into small pieces that he can mash with his gums.  Some are listed in link below.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood8to10montholdbaby.htm

whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:36 PM on May. 22, 2011

• are you worried about him gaining weight because you stated almond milk is 10 cal per ounce sounds to me like you need desperately to consult an dietitian your child is severely under weight take you child to the Dr!!!!!

traren

Answer by traren at 8:57 PM on May. 22, 2011

• avocado,mango.grilled cheese,chicken,pasta,cheese,yogurt,
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:05 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I have a 10 month old who just hit 14 lbs, so I've discussed the weight thing with her drs. She only has 2 teeth, but the amount of teeth is irrelevant - people use molars to chew and kids don't get those until around 2, they can chew fine without them.
    My ped recommended that at a year instead of going to cow's milk, we do toddler formula which has a lot more calories/ounce. If you don't want to do toddler formula, pediasure makes a drink that is heavy on calories and nutrition(make sure you get pediasure, and not the pediasure sidekicks - which has the vitamins/minerals but not the extra calories)
    My daughter eats what we eat - she loves diced strawberries and blueberries, peas, rotini pasta, omelettes, pancakes, sweet potatoes, cheese toast, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• He can eat whatever you eat. Just cut it up smaller/shred/mash it. He should get used to texture, so let him mash it with his gums, if its soft enough.
    Whatever milk you decide on is fine, almond milk is far heathier than cows, just be sure he is getting healthy fats.(non animal fats)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:12 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Ok ladies I should address the issue of taking my child to the Dr. I may be a first time mom but I am not CLUELESS! We do weight checks every 2 weeks and the Dr.'s have no advice for me. EVERY TEST has been run and nothing has been found to be quote unquote "wrong" with him. I don' t believe that he is broken I just believe he is special and I was just looking for some food advice. He eats what we eat, just not very much. I spoke of almond milk being 10 calories per ouce because that is LESS than formula. (We mix our formula so that it is 27 calories per ounce) I don't want to give him something that is less in calories than what we give him now! WE have talked to dieticians and they tell us what we already know. Thank you mom's for the great advice. I appreciate your input so far!
    Hanksmom0510

Comment by Hanksmom0510 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My 14 month old LOVES grilled cheese sandwiches. My 2 1/2 year old son, however, does not and has been a picky eater pretty much from birth. He would not eat any baby cereals and avoided, even cried when I tried to feed him certain solids. He has Sensory Processing Disorder, which we didn't find out until he was around 18 months, so it has been a challenge, to say the least! First off, if you are still concerned and your doctor isn't, maybe it's time to find a new doctor. Just a thought. I feel that doctors should be helpful, not sitting by while a parent suffers with anxiety.

Secondly, just try things one at a time. Try things with smooth textures like soft avocado, yogurt (full fat), and baby food purees. You can also steam some carrots, sweet potato (yams), squash (my son LOVED butternut with a little butter and salt and pepper). It's a trial and error, and you might waste food, but it's worth it in the end. Trust me!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 9:54 PM on May. 22, 2011