Do you think you would*know* if one of your family members was on the verge

of ending their own life?.. im talking about close family

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Relationships

• NOT NECESSARILY unless they were actually threatening to take their life. some people don't give off any warning signs.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 8:21 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I agree with Gwen. A person can have the idea rattling around in their head and give off zero signs. It's like, oh maybe I'll do some laundry, I guess I'll wash the car...then maybe I'll take those pills and kill myself. I've seen it happen too many times where the friends and family members felt so bad that they had no idea their loved one wanted to kill themselves. If someone gets in their head they want to commit suicide, they'll usually find a way to make it happen...without anyone being able to stop them. It sucks for those who are left behind.
    IntuitiveMJ

Answer by IntuitiveMJ at 8:26 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No. Most of the time you wouldn't know. When people are srious about it, they pretend that they are happy and energetic. And, actually, they are because they are looking forward to the end . . . . in a sick way. When someone tells others, it is because they want to be saved . . . they are actually less of a risk.

The only time you would really know is if they wanted to do it in front of you. I know someone who, unfortunately, had to go through that.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Warning signs are:

Sudden improvement in mood and energy
    Giving away personal items
    Giving gifts
    Telling everyone how much they are loved
    Sudden making of social or fitness plans after long periods of withdrawal

If someone has been very depressed for a long period of time starts acting like this . . . action needs to be taken immediately.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:35 PM on May. 22, 2011

• sadly the person is already gone
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 PM on May. 22, 2011

• and this person was very good at hiding how depressed they were
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• only 32 years old why kill yourself at such a young age?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I am so sorry . .. .:(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:42 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No. My BIL killed himself 3 years ago. It was awful. We knew he was depressed, but no one had any idea he would do that. He was 39.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:59 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would hope so, but honestly sometimes it is impossible to tell. My friend spoke to her brother on the phone and minutes after the call, he hung himself. He was in his late teens. She beat herself up so badly because she felt like she should have known. The truth is that if the person doesn't want you to know, you may not know until it's too late. It is very, very sad.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:14 PM on May. 22, 2011