minnesotanice

Asked by minnesotanice at 8:17 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, aside from the fact daddy was wasted at the time and apparently doesn't even remember ( that's disturbing in and of itself ) I would be willing to bet there will come a time in the not so distant future that this won't be so uncommon. Look how far tattoos and piercing have come in the last several decades. And with tattoo removing becoming more available and precise, they aren't looked at as permanent anymore. I don't agree with it, I would never do it, you would have to rip my sons from my cold dead hands to try and pierce their ears, but as society become more lax with expression and all that junk I will be surprised if this one day will be no big deal.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:41 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I feel anyone who would tattoo a baby or toddler should be horsewhipped and sentenced to hard labor. Piercing ears?? No biggie.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 PM on May. 22, 2011

• What Carpy said... How terrible to do that to that child.

I have seen baby girls with pierced ears and I thought, how dangerous, what's to keep them from jerking out the ear rings?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

• tattooing in most states is illegal until the age of 18 with or without parent consent but piercings can be done with parent consent ears lips eyebrow bellybuttons nose's just about anywhere!!!! it's really up to the shop do I think these should be illegal no but I'm not talking about toddlers either they usually will start other piercings around 13. or at least I haven't heard of them piercing other places on younger kids besides the ears.

traren

Answer by traren at 8:32 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Ridiculous in my opinion.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:47 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't agree even with piercing a baby girls' (or boys', and yes, I've seen it) ears because of the possibility of them hurting themselves with it, but I'm not the mom of that child, and they aren't my responsibility. I believe the child should be old enough to make their own decision as to whether or not they want pierced ears.

As to the tatoo'ing...HELL NO (except in the aforementioned tribal reasons). That IS something that should be decided by THAT PERSON when they are of age, not something Mommy or Daddy should decide.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:04 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Ridiculous to do either in the early years. For what purpose? So that some miscreant on the schoolyard can yank one and tear an ear lobe? Teens perhaps with parental permission. Tatoos? Not until 18. Parents eager to turn their little darlings in to miniature adults at super early age should be horsewhipped! That is just my opinion.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:36 PM on May. 22, 2011

• IMO, piercings are just as permanant as tattoos. I have had my ears pierced and haven't worn earrings for 10 years in 1 set of holes and I could still get one in them. And they are still noticable.

Would I want it to be illegal, IDK but tattooing should be
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• In some Pacific cultures, it's normal to create scar tattoos on an infants face. It's their custom, it identifies them as belonging to the tribe they are born into, and when grown up, they look decorative and charming. Making it illegal sounds wrong to me. But a tattoo just for fun is a strange thing to want to do to a baby...
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:28 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I think in a culture where this is the norm (like judimary described) then it's just part of life. What's in that story sounds more like some guy just got drunk and thought it would be fun. I think that's terrible. It would hurt the baby, it would take time to heal, and it would leave a permanent mark that the kid may not even approve of when they got older.

A tattoo is a big decision to make for someone else!

I feel less strongly about the ears, but I think it is best to wait until the child requests it themselves.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 8:50 PM on May. 22, 2011