Stopping breastfeeding - emotional changes?

(sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, i figured it was the closest thing to what i was looking for)

i've been slowly weaning my son the past few weeks (my decision) and finally stopped breastfeeding on monday. the last few days, i've felt like a basketcase. could cry at the drop of a hat, and just kinda grumpy/sad in general. my mood hasnt been altered so that i hate or want to hurt the baby, i just feel mopey.

did anyone else experience this? or should i be worried?

flamingomegs

Asked by flamingomegs at 8:41 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! That is a very common reaction.

With the change of your hormones, and the loss of the "bonding" method, many mommies will feel a sense of loss, homesickness, lack of control, feeling neglectful, etc. It is sooo normal.

Let yourself cry when you need to. Once your body adjusts, you will feel a renewed sense of energy and enthusiasm.

hang in there!!!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:54 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Your hormones are changing again from stopping breastfeeding. It should go away in a week or two but if it lasts longer, I would talk to your doctor.

Been thru it too. You aren't the only one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:43 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Same thing happened to me. Like Jade said, your hormones are trying to stablize. If it last more than two weeks...PLEASE talk with your doctor to make sure it's not postpartum depression. Hang in there mama!
    IntuitiveMJ

Answer by IntuitiveMJ at 8:53 PM on May. 22, 2011

• It never happened to me, but mine was FAR more gradual...it would not surprise me that it would be completely related to the change in nursing the same way a drop off in hormones or increase in hormones changes you at the beginning/end of pregnancy.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No, you are definately not alone :)

When I was going through that I was so surprised that all of my pregnancy and breastfeeding books failed to mention the emotional part of weaning.

But, all of my friends went through the weaning blues.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You are so not alone...it is that intense hormone flux, but it will get better. When I weaned my son (after 31 months!) I started getting debilitating migraines at the end of my period. I still get them, but have them more under control now. DS will be 7 in August.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:22 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes! And I did not expect it. First time, I was pregnant so I didn't really notice, but my 2nd time, I wondered and nobody answered... and it wasn't in any books either... it happened this time too, about a week or 2 after the milk dried up, just getting over it now actually.

Thanks for your question, it mde me feel better too :-)

And I was SO done, way later and all, SO ready to be done, and I don't regret it, but the emotions are stabilizing.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• your hormones change again when u stop so yes it is normal i am going through the same thing right now and my skin is horrible again too...i broke out so bad at the beginning of my pregnancy n never had bad skin til then N I HATE IT
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:30 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Whenever you think you are the only one, it is a 100% guarantee that you are NOT. This generally comes hand in hand with mom-lead weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 AM on May. 23, 2011

• thank you so much. makes me feel better, and not so alone <3
    flamingomegs

Comment by flamingomegs (original poster) at 9:10 PM on May. 22, 2011