How do you tame a 16yr old girl, Help!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• All you can do is damage control and make sure she doesn't do things too far out of the norm. These years are tough. Keep your humor through it all. You will survive... :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:20 PM on May. 22, 2011

• by the time they get to 16 it too late to tame them!!!! all you can do is not try to be their friend your the mom not the buddy and if they are out of control restrict them usually the best way to control them is taking the phone and computer away!!!! other than that good luck if it gets really bad check into children homes in your area if you have them and visit one let her see what they do when they get kids and that all privileges are taken away they get to sit in their rooms and do chores for 2 week that every other privilege is earned and timed she may then realize that it's not so bad at home and that she better straighten up before you take her there to live.

traren

Answer by traren at 9:23 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Tame how? what is she doing that requires taming?
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:24 PM on May. 22, 2011

• wow she not a pet she your child!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 9:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• She is my baby and has two older sisters 29 & 30, different father, they were the easiest girls in the world. They cared about school, were respectful and would listen. Now the 16 yr old has been difficult since she was an embryo. I've raised them all as a single parent, but by two different husbands. The first two their father wasn't in their life, he's choice. The last one her father left me when I was 6 weeks preg and has been in and out of her life. Even though she wasn't with him she acts just like him, i guess frustratedthere's something to say about DNA. She has the i don't have to or i don't care attitude. She always in trouble at school, lies, etc...I've tried everything but nothing works with her.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You don't. If you're having trouble with her now, it's probably stemmed from parenting choices from earlier years.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:27 AM on May. 23, 2011

• With a 17 DD and 2 other children, each of them all very different from each other, here is my advice.  If you have truly tried everything.  Counseling... etc.

Love her.  Sit her down & tell her.  I love you.  What you are doing is killing me inside and possibly destroying your future.  I only want the best for you and it is time for you to start making decisions that will affect your life.  You will always have my love and support.   That will never change.  I will parent you & you wont alway like it, but I will always be here for you. 

Then continue doing what you feel in your heart is right.  If you punish for bad grades and skipping school do that.  You can't give up.  You are all she has.  It may not feel like it now, but this will pass and one day she will look back on this and wonder how she made it out and how/why you put up with her.  But she will be so thankful that you did. 

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 7:47 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Don't dig her out of the next mess she makes. This is the point in their lives when consequences need to be severe for severe actions and they need to be fulfilled to the end.

As for "Taming" that's for wild animals, you are talking about your daughter and if you think that at 16 you can start "taming" her, you are far too late.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I've got a 14 year old so i'm not there yet. My only suggestion would be communication!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 12:47 PM on May. 23, 2011

• You can't tame anyone they are not animals to be domesticated, but in their upbringing there is a lot you can do so you won't need to tame later on..........

Answer by older at 2:42 PM on May. 23, 2011