How do you respond?

My dd told me that she wishes her daddy spent more time with her. How do I approach this with my hubby? His parents spent no time with him. He spends every morning with her. They have breakfast together and he gets her off to school. On the weekends they spend a lot of time together. But during the week she never see's him after school. He thinks he spends plenty of time with her....but she is not happy with it.

I think this could have a lot to do with the acting out that she does. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:24 PM on May. 22, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A lot of kids feel like they don't get enough time with parents ( when they are young) Tell DD that she should talk to her dad about it. This will let her know that she CAN talk to her dad. :) Give DH a heads up that DD wants to talk about it. :)
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 9:29 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd be honest with him and tell him what your daughter said. What's a better way to get the point across to him than telling him exactly what she said ? That way its not your opinion, it's hers. He probably believes he spends enough time with her because he's spending more time with her than his parents spent with him. I can almost bet its an honest to God misunderstanding between the two of them. What is he doing during the wk? All that makes a difference. Maybe they can schedule a night or two during the week that they can spend a couple hours together ??? If it's working than there isn't much you can do besides explain to her that he is the provider & doing his job as a father to provide for her & the rest of the family. If he's working & he can't get away from it, I wouldn't tell him bc that will give him guilt. Just explaiin to her he spends as much time with her as possible, if he is workin durin the wk. Good luck hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 9:34 PM on May. 22, 2011

• i would just flat out say to him, what she said. it sounds like tthey have a good relationshp so he should hear that and want to act on it
    agallo004

Answer by agallo004 at 9:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would just tell him what she said point blank. Is he at work in the evenings, is that why he doesnt see her? If thats the case I would also explain to your daughter about Daddy's work responsibilities etc.....the only other thing I can think is on the weekends do they do things together alone, like Father daughter time, taking her to the park or for icecream or whatever it is , just their special thing, if they dont maybe that will help.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:47 PM on May. 22, 2011

• He is not at work. Most times he is either at the bar or out fishing. He comes home after she is in bed. She knows where he is. I have spoken to him about it before. He improves for like a week and then he reverts back. He blames it on PTSD...which he does have but is supposedly getting help for.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 7:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Have hubby make one special day of the week that they hang out alone after school alone
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 12:13 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Talk with him and tell her how he feels.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:29 PM on Jun. 10, 2011