How would you feel is someone said "they were going to report you to child protective services....." but said it in a joking way. how would feel hearing that come from your mother? just because you cannot get your 11 month old to go to sleep because he still wants to crawl around and play....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would definitely be offended and hurt. That's nothing to joke about. The fact that it came from your own mother is bad enough. You can't help it if your child would rather play. I don't know if you are living with your mom or not, but if you are, I would be seeing about getting on your own.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:56 AM on May. 23, 2011

• the "grandmother" can be charged with false reporting
    bambers481

Answer by bambers481 at 9:31 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Well, some always told me that the truth is spoke in a joke. So I know the relationship of my mother is strained so i wouldnt put it past her...lol. But if your not harming your child then you have nothing to worry about. Children at that age try to test their boundaries. Of what they can and can not get away with it. I think that i would have told her that if she doesn't have a solution then lets not make the problem bigger. But try to establish a routine with the child. Maybe eating a hour before, then a bath and then a rub down in some baby lotion or baby oil gel whatever you use and dressing and then it will help the child go to sleep. Also sometimes we have to be stern when putting our children to bed. My three years tries to give me a thousand kisses before going to bed its her way of getting out of bed but she knows after the third time its pushing her getting in trouble. So take what people say with a grain of salt. :)
    ruqayap

Answer by ruqayap at 9:38 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I would be offended and tell the person so.

Answer by louise2 at 9:29 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Yes...it would hurt. It is easy to feel like we are horrible moms....we don't need 'loved ones' making it worse. Maybe cut back on time spent with her. Only keep people around that lift you up not tear you down. :)
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 9:31 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I'd ask you how does she know do you live with her or where you complaining to her?

if you live with her then there's not much you can do about her saying that jokingly or otherwise.

if you don't then stop complaining to her. and don't answer the phone in the evenings while trying to get your child to sleep.

traren

Answer by traren at 9:37 PM on May. 22, 2011

• depends on the context and my relationship with the person who said it. if it was meant in a joking way, dont blow it out of proportion
    agallo004

Answer by agallo004 at 9:37 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I wouldnt like to hear it, to me thats not something you even think to joke about, people already report people for no reason so if someone said it to me I would be less than impressed and they would know it, Mother or not!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:44 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If it were my Mother than I would know that she was just teasing and it wouldn't bother me in the least.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:46 PM on May. 22, 2011

• no one should joke about that it seems like people are reporting child abuse for every little mistake parents make these days so its not a joking matter however i don't see how a baby not wanting to sleep is child abuse its not like you are starving her or forcing her to stay up to the point where she is so tired she can't relax
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 10:10 PM on May. 22, 2011