is it wrong to not teach your child?

is it wrong to not teach your child how to speak? he is already 5, and no one that doesnt know him (even i who ive known him for 3 years) can understand him. he says "Bloater" for brother, cant says his "R's" (i know that is a hard one though) cant say his "K's" calls a banana a "Naner" still.. i could keep going on and on, he cant even speak in full sentences. his parents dont help him learn, or correct him at all. i think he is old enough now to be corrected so that he understand how to properly say the word. his 2 yr old brother doesnt speak yet either. he just grunts and cries and points to what he wants. its not a disorder it is just the parents dont TEACH them...

who else thinks that is wrong???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• The school should be seeing that and get him the help he needs. When he goes
    Anonymous

• Well he hasnt started yet beacuse of his birthday. But shouldn't the parents be the MAIN teacher for that anyway?
    Anonymous

• Yes, they should but ya know that doesnt mean that they do. But they should.
    Anonymous

• yeah i agreee with the school thing. They helped me. i had a spech problem and they tried to help. I just feel sorry for them when they go to school they are going to get picked on badly...its bad enough kids are mean over lil things the speech is deff will be hard
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i do a child needs to learn how to speak now if they had a problem hearing or something i could understand but for the parents not to teach them thats not right at all
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Im over there alot and am around them alot and they just dont "take the time" to teach him or sit down and do anything with him to learn. they only let him play video games all day long LITERALLY. that is all he ever talks about because he doesnt do anything else, and that is all that he knows.
    Anonymous

• I've seen that before to and wonder the same thing. I've talked to some parents about it before and I think that they don't realize it's a problem. Some parents aren't around other kids and don't really know how well their child should talk for their age. Maybe if you give him gifts at birthdays, christmas, etc you could get him a toy that is a learning toy that makes the child repeat letters and words and stuff. Sometimes that gets the parents motivated to do more when they see their child learning from the toy.
    Anonymous

• I think it sounds horribly lazy and absent to not bother to take the time to help your child. Some children have speech issues despite their parents helping, but that doesn't sound like the case here.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Or maybe the parents don'tsee it as of big of a deal as you do,or she doesn't know what to o about it? Have you let them know that you are concerned about this child's speech? My ds had speech problems and I put him in a preschool program at the local elementary. Maybe you could encourage her to do something like that. Most elementary schools have screenings for such situations

Anonymous

• Thats a good idea anon at 842, and i think i will do that actually, but i REALLY dont think hell even use it lol. only because he is So hooked on video games. his mom says "i think he has like speech problems" and i asked her if she took him to the dr and they told her that and she said no, but she thinks he does.
    I wanted to say "i think its because you just let him play video games and not teach him anything"
    but i couldnt of course, it just makes me kind of mad when parents dont put out an effort ya know?
    Anonymous