Was I in the wrong?

We were having a big crowd in our house with company so I cleaned better than I'd ever cleaned before. I even put potty training on hold so the bathroom would be a bit more sanitary. Company was about 9 adults, 1 potty trained child, and an infant in addition of my family of 6. The potty trained child has been to our house many times before and hasn't had any issues. Well, THIS time...she decided to use my son's training potty.

I was going to let it go and I was going to just dump the pee into the toilet, but then I saw the mess that she really left. Not only in the bowl, but all over the seat, underneath the seat (lifting the piece off to get to the bowl for cleaning out). I was disgusted. I have four kids of my own and having to deal with their messes...this was NOT my responsibility. If my kids go to someone's house and make a mess...I clean it up if my kids can't. I ASKED her if she could clean the potty mess and she pitched a fit. Huffed and puffed and tried to use her infant as an excuse not to clean up after her other one. I asked her and she didn't WANT to do it, but eventually she got up and did it (probably to shut me up).

We had an encounter with her earlier in our party where she was giving a bad attitude and treating me like crap (hubby wanted to kick her out), but me avoiding confrontation blah blah. So...when I snapped a bit from being door matted...I ASKED her to clean up the potty since my kid didn't make the mess. Was I in the wrong? I'm trying to grow a back bone lol.

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 10:05 PM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• umm no not at all!!! i would have done the same thing!!!
    firsttimemom733

Answer by firsttimemom733 at 10:08 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I don't believe you were wrong to ask her to clean it up it wàs her child's mess. It wasn't like you were asking her to clean your bathroom after everyone used it. I believe in cleaning up after my children and it's just common courtesy.
    LadyMitres

Answer by LadyMitres at 10:09 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Absolutely not! What kind of irresponsible parent is she? She has some nerve!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:11 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Nope, you're NOT in the wrong. I'm afraid I wouldn't have been as nice as you sounded like you were! When we have people over with little ones, and the little ones come to me for help, I take them by the hand, walk them to their parents, and say, here I think they need you.. Then it's out of my hands, and they have to take care of their little monsters,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:11 PM on May. 22, 2011

• The only thing wrong was that SHE should have cleaned it without being asked....even once! SHE should have been in the bathroom with her child...and cleaned the mess BEFORE leaving the bathroom! SHE should be embarassed!!
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:12 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You were not wrong at all BUT i doubt it was an intentional mess. I would be digusted but would have cleaned it up because I have a daughter and I am sure she is not always tidy.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:15 PM on May. 22, 2011

• No... I don't think so. Of course, you would show her where all the cleaning stuff is and everything- that could be awkward- and if she has a newborn with her, it may make mroe sense to ask her husband to clean up, or at least hold the baby, but it's perfectly acceptable to ask her.

That said, I probably wouldn't. I only have 3 kids, but I have had people clean up after them (when I volunteered to, of course) so I owe a lot of it, and even if not, I like to spoil my guests. And clean my house my way.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:16 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Hell no! Nobody should have to clean up some other kid's shit! that is sick and wrong!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

• If my child made a mess at someone else's house, I would be mortified! you are not in the wrong to ask. It's your right to ask. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, this is what I would say "I think Jenny (whatever the name of the little girl) may have had an accident in the bathroom. It looks like your hands are full with the baby, would you like me to ask your husband to handle this?" Say it with a smile.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

• You are not wrong at all. I canNOT believe that mother got all pissy about cleaning up after her older child. To MY way of thinking if I/my child makes a mess as a guest in someone's house then AT THE VERY LEAST I offer to clean up said mess.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:56 PM on May. 22, 2011