Should I worry (Gestational Question)

I was diagnosed with GD early on in pregnancy and have done well so far counting carbs and giving myself proper doses of insulin. My numbers are usually right in range. I had some problems with my hour after breakfast readings, but not way out of control. The last 3 days or so my numbers have sky rocketed, I am getting readings in the 200's. I never was that high unless I mis calculated, but that was rare. I have been sick with a cold, and I know you can get higher readings then, but in the 200's. My BP has also been up the last three days. I plan to call the DR., but seeing what others may think till I get a chance to call tomorrow. It just bugs me that I watch things I eat and all and now I am suddenly running into problems. I do not want to harm the baby.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 10:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My doctors told me it just causes a bigger baby when you have GD. I was really close to getting it with my first and I'm not at that point with this one. I hated having to watch what I ate because I wanted to eat everything I couldn't and I'm not a good dieter (never had a reason to diet before). Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Gestational Diabetes will begin to get worse the further along in your pregnancy you are. With your sugars excalating and your BP up you may be put on bed rest pretty soon. Most likely they will also do a 24 hour creatanine test to see if you are throwing protein. This will tell them if you may be pre-eclamptic.
    I have GD with both of my pregnancies. With the last one, I was put on complete bed rest in my second trimester, my insulin increased, and ended up delivering (repeat c-section) at 34 w 3 days. I ended up with Pre-E at the end.
    Continued....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• GD does cause several things to happen-
    1.) Low birth weight is possible
    2.) High birth weight possible
    3.) Difficult deliveries where the baby can be injured
    4.) Low glucose levels in the baby at birth
    5.) Stillbirth

Definitely contact your doctor asap. Both conditions together can be difficult to manage. I had hypertension, GD, and Pre-E during my last pregnancy.. ( delivered 8/4/08)
    HTH
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008