Your opinion of the term "homemaker"?

I recently read a post on one of the forums I'm on where almost all of the women posting absolutely hated the term "homemaker". They talked about it being a phrase coined from the 1950's and were talking a lot about aspects of feminism. I was just curious, what is your opinion of the term homemaker?

Maybe I'm an odd one out, but I have no reason to dislike the term, in fact typically if someone asks what I do for a living I quickly say "I'm a housewife and a stay at home mom." I just always thought of that as my job title and have never thought negatively of it at all. *shrugs*

Opinions?

MamaPyratekk

Asked by MamaPyratekk at 12:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I prefer the term stay-at-home-mom...but it really makes no difference to me what people call it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I believe the term housewife means that your number one job is to care for your husband and children if you have any. I believe it is our job to cook, clean, and care for the children (of course with the help of your hubby on that part). And i also believe it is our job to make the house a happpy place to be for your family. I recently read A Wife After Gods Own Heart, and it is in the Bible itself, that is what we are to do. It is a very awesome book and I encourage anyone who's not quite sure if a housewife is a good thing or not to read it. It is truly a blessing to be a homemaker. I love it.
    vanessa83

Answer by vanessa83 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• To be its sounds a little out dated. I just say that I am a full time mother. That alone says enough.
    Mz_P757

Answer by Mz_P757 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I remember growing up my mother use the term "Domestic Engineer." Now I prefer the term "Domestic Godess." LOL!!
    krisstencarmela

Answer by krisstencarmela at 1:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Better then being a "Homewrecker". LOL

Homemaker sounds like a slave to me. I also prefer Stay at home mom. More updated. More modern.
    Anonymous

• "full time Mother"  ?? Are you implying that Moms that work are less than fulltime Moms?

Anonymous

• ""full time Mother" ?? Are you implying that Moms that work are less than fulltime Moms?"

I think you are reading far too much into this mom's answer.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 2:45 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Being a mother is the most giving, stressful and non stop job anyone could have.. Along with being a father. I feel its hard no matter what.. wether you stay at home and do the house duties, or go to work. Its hard no matter what! Moms who work want to be home and most moms who stay at home want to get out and work for a company! So wouldnt call it 'Stay at home mom, or Homemaker.' To me, its just MOM!
    chelseychae

Answer by chelseychae at 3:10 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I think that the term homemaker is something you heard more in the Leave it to beaver days lol!! but i love it. I think it is great to be able to say Im a homemaker. on c/c appt it doesn't say stay at home mom. it says homemaker. because you are making a home. you aren't just staying home. I think that as a homemaker you are doing just that you are making a home for your family making sure your husband has his lunch and ironed clothes and kids are clean and well mannered. i mean a homemaker makes the home a home that's her duty in being there. i feel its the mom who teaches the kids manners how to behave if your kids are terrible who's fault is it? MOM (if she is a homemaker) because she is suppose to set the example to the kids and teach them. sorry for the long answer
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 3:31 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I don't care for it though I am one.

I have found that if I say I'm a stay-at-home-mom, people think I sit around all day eating bon-bons and watching soaps.

If I say I'm a homemaker, they think I clean bathrooms and cook all day.

Other terms I've heard just sound silly though they are a better fit: Home Manager, Domestic Engineer, Logistics Manager, Facilities Manager, even CEO.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2008