Home made baby food

was wondering if anyone as made their own baby food. if so what machine did yall use,, do yall have any tips.. and do yall find it saved money

datgurlmeggy

Asked by datgurlmeggy at 10:22 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Food processor would be the best to use IMO. :) Also....keep bland. I think it was the fact that I KNEW what was going IN the babyfood was the reason I did it. When my oldest was young they were finding glass in the babyfood...he is 27 now. :-/
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:25 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Mashed Bananas
    Mashed Potatoes
    Mashed Carrots
    Apples pureed
    Etc.
    You only need a fork to press and mash. Or a blender. Or in the case of apples a pot to cook them. Very simple.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:27 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Oh yeah! Its super easy. We have a magic bullet, so when the girls were little, I'd steam whatever vegetables hubby and I were eating--or fruit--and puree it with water to a good consistency. As they grew, i'd toss in chicken, turkey, fish, beef with the veggies into a nice puree. It saved us maybe about $20 a month, but I felt good that I saved us a little money and that what I was feeding them was healthy and preservative free.
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 10:30 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I used a small food processor, Cuisinart I think. It doesn't have to cost alot of money. I would put soft food (friut, cooked veggies, chicken, or whatever the rest of us were eating that day) in it, mix with breast milk or formula if need be and done! Sometimes, I would add cereal too.
    SDJenn

Answer by SDJenn at 10:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

• My second went straight to table foods at 7.5 months. She wouldn't tolerate anyone spoon-feeding her anything, so we just skipped baby food altogether. Easiest thing ever. Saved money and time--no buying jarred foods, no taking time to make special food, no having to feed baby while your food gets cold, no guess-work about whether baby is eating enough or too much since baby controls how much goes in. Google "baby led solids".
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:00 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I either steames veggies and then mashed them with a fork, adding a little water, or used a cuisinart hand held immersion blender. I wasn't doing it to save money, so I didn't really compare the price. I just wanted my baby to have homemade organic food. I did mainly fruits and veggies, but you can do the same with meats. Have fun mixing them to create different flavors, such as peaches and pears. Or carrots and sweet potatos.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:00 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I made foods for my DD, but I also us jarred (especially for carrots, spinach, green beans and peas).

To cook the food I either steamed, baked, or cooked in a crockpot (this worked really well for pumpkin and squash, and fruits).

To puree I used the Magic Bullet. It works sooooo great! It is perfect for making small batches of baby food, and so easy to wash and store.

To store I froze in ice cube trays to start with, and then froze in the empty baby food containers (the plastic little tubs).

At first I started with straight vegetables, but as DD grew I started making purees and combinations from the foods our family was eating. I liked that when we had ham and rice she was having ham and rice. It worked well with leftovers, too. Plain grilled meats worked very well, too
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:06 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I didn't with my other two but am thinking about it...it has to be cheaper and definitely easy to do.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 11:13 PM on May. 22, 2011

• Really easy to do and saved us a ton of money. I used a small food processor and froze in ice cube trays at first and then onto small glad containers. I used the water from steaming the veggies to thin them out instead of just plain water, and added cereal if it was to thin. As my LO got older we would puree what we were having for dinner. She had a soft gag and ate pureed food until she was about 15-18 mos old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I did, but I didn't ever puree it. I just mashed with a fork, and mixed in a little bmilk or water if needed at first.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on May. 23, 2011