The Occult & numerology

This question is actually for anyone who considers themselves a practicing Occultist, New Ager, Wiccan, etc. What exactly does numerology entail under your beliefs?

Does giving letters a numerical value constitute as numerology? Ie; A=1 B=2 etc or giving numbers a value? Some "Christians" I know claim that one =God or perfection that 7=completion etc.

This has been somewhat of a debate within my own circle of peers ie: fellow Christians and I would like an outsiders opinion on their perspective.

Please be polite about it though. Thankyou

RepentantSinner

Asked by RepentantSinner at 10:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• how numerology relates to christianity http://www.carm.org/questions/numbers.htm

Anonymous

• Anon 10:46 I can only assume you must be a Christian who approves of this. I've already done my research into the supposed meanings of the numbers. I asked for an outsiders point of view, and by posting anonymous it's fairly obvious you're not. Ugghhhh - sorrry

BUT

What was so hard to understand about the fact that I was asking for an outsiders opinion on this? If I wanted to hear strictly from Christians I would've asked within one of my groups, which I already did.

NEXt
    RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 10:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• how "Christian" of you to judge me on the basis of me posting anonymously RepentantSinner.

I'm pagan, just posted a link to a Christian based site since that's what the question seemed most relevant to.

Anonymous

• You're right I was "assuming" and we all know what that does. I apologize
    RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 11:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Let me restate though, that I have done extensive research from that angle, about what the numbers mean. I'm not looking for what they mean. I'm looking for how Occultists, Wiccans, Spiritualists, etc etc SPECIFICALLY view them within their own practices.

Again I was wrong for being so quick to judge.
    RepentantSinner

Answer by RepentantSinner at 11:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• letters are assigned a number only for purpose of being able to add them together. the number at the end is what matters.

the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 22 as an end result after adding is what holds "meaning" although it's not like a "set in stone" kind of meaning.

here's a site that has what each of these numbers mean http://www.spiritlink.com/numbmean.html

example- if you are born on the 1st, 10th, 19th, 28th (all add up to 1) you will most likely be a creative person although maybe have an ego.

Anonymous

• ever read horoscopes? similar to that. it's just kind of like a guide, nothing set in stone, nothing definite.

my challenge # is 7, rough meaning is that I will have issues with Spirituality, mental analysis, wisdom, fault finding, suppression.
    I do have issues with spirituality, I can't find a Church that I agree with. I overly analyze things mentally, and I find fault in too many things, I also suppress emotions.

to me, it's just fun and interesting. I have an obsession with math anyways so finding the numerical meaning in things is fun. I don't like base my daily life on the numerological meaning of things though.
    Anonymous

• Anon 11:15 & 11:17 answers it as well as I could. I am pagan. And that's better than I could have put it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Hebrew numerology is fascinating. It's called Gematria. It is used to point out or back up many Jewish ideas in the Torah. I don't believe that this works in any other language. I cant find any good links right now, but I'll try to comeback later.
    MnMmom

Answer by MnMmom at 11:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008