Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I call CPS (Child Protective Service)?

I have been debating this for a while and am still unsure. My daughter was in a Girl Scout Daisy Troop but the troop dissolved because the leader wasn't doing a good job and was making up weird stories. All the moms felt she might have an undiagnosed mental issue as the stories were weird and unnecessary. Anyway, no one felt comfortable having her lead our girls. The mother has four children; all under the age of five. All of them have some sort of developmental disorder (failure to thrive, ADHD, autism). There have been stories around the school that makes me wonder if the oldest hasn’t been molested. Again, the mother makes up stories so who knows? What concerns me the most is the baby. He is 8 or 9 months old. He doesn't sit up, crawl or eat food; just formula. One mom said he looked like he was going to die. Every time we were at her house, he was strapped in a car seat or swing. I think he spends most of the time like that. He always seemed happy but not healthy. He isn’t even the one diagnosed as failure to thrive, that is the two-year-old. This mom is obviously overwhelmed with so many young children. Plus, her husband is in the military and always gone. Would anyone call CPS? I don’t think they need to be removed from the home but the woman needs some sort of help!


Asked by SDJenn at 10:44 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 5 (73 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • CPS doesn't just remove children from homes, they are also very helpful. I freaked out because CPS was called when my daughter's disorder was diagnosed, thinking that they were going to take her from me because that's all I hear about CPS doing. Turns out they were called because we were in an extremely stressful situation. They never talked about taking her from me, they were only there to help me get connected to programs (Help Me Grow, Early Intervention, PT, ST, OT, In Home Nursing Aide) to help my daughter.

    So maybe calling them will help her get the help she needs for her entire family. But maybe there is something less extreme that you could do first. Maybe try to befriend her. Or find someone else to call that can help her. I would want to make sure that there is abuse and neglect before I called someone.

    Answer by mrsziemann at 11:18 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • You can't prove anything. CPS will not do much.

    Answer by jujubean1979200 at 10:46 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • I would. When I was that age I could not even hold my head up. My grandma told me that my mom would forget to feed me and ALWAYS had me in a carrier so I couldn't work my muscles properly. That's abuse.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:47 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • I assume you do not want to go over and offer help? I am not judging....if she has mental issues not a good idea, as far as letting her too much into your life. IF you are in a situation that you can not offer her mental issues would overflow into your life....then call DHS. THEY make the decision what is best for the kids. They are not perfect but not too many choices to turn to. :-/ If her husband is in the military they do offer counceling....

    Answer by PsychicSherry at 10:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • If you suspect neglect...CALL. That child doesn't have a voice, you do. If CPS finds nothing wrong they will close the case. You are obviously worried, so you should call.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:51 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • Hard call. It never hurts to error on the side of caution. You could call and talk to someone in Social Services and just ask them about your concerns.

    Answer by LeJane at 10:50 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • i would report it

    Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:51 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • She may have some mental issues, however she may just need a friend, and maybe she is making up stories to get attention? It's a hard call and I have seen CPS remove kids and there wasn't issues, just a jealous ex making stuff up.


    Answer by sweetangie79 at 10:55 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • If she is military, talk to a chaplain. They can do things you can't, like get her into services and do home visits without the fear of her kids being taken.

    Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:56 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • How did she get to be a leader for the Girl Scouts? I thought you said she was mentally unstable.
    In order for you to come to any conclusions I would suggest to spend a day or two with her and the children. You said that you have been at her home. Was it a short visit?
    You also said that she has little children she must be exhausted taking care of them. Not crazy exhausted.

    Answer by MMXI at 11:06 PM on May. 22, 2011