Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting on Tricare?

My ex boyfriend has been promising to get our daughter on Tricare for over a year, my mom and i have helped him with everything to make it easy for him to get her on it. Every week he calls and contradicts himself about what i need to do. now he is telling me i have to give him her original Social Security card, And birth certificate. My mom has both of these since i am only 17 and neither of us trust him enough to give it to him. I''m not sure what to do i really need my daughter on insurance because i cant find a job anywhere, and she has been kicked off medicare unless my parents kick me out. If any of you can help me anything that will make this process please let me know.

Answer Question

Asked by Jade_Sky at 11:35 PM on May. 22, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (24)
  • He is full of total and complete shit. I mean, dry that out, you can fertilize my lawn! Is he military? My ex is military and the only way I got my daughter signed up was to contact his commander and the dude took care of it right away. If he is military, contact his commander and bust his ass for being a total freaking bonehead!!!

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:37 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • I have Tricare and I would suggest you go online to and research, at the very least you can call them. Hold on and I'll get you the phone # and you can ask them the questions you want and give them the info they need without going through your ex. Be right back.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 11:39 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • 1-888-874-9378

    Answer by Kathy675 at 11:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • If he is military though, YOU can't call and do it. I tried. I had to call the commander and he took care of it but I had to mail Tricare a certified copy of my divorce papers showing that he is responsible for her medical and dental.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:45 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • At least this way you can deal directly with tri-care concerning her birth certificate and ssn. I don't blame you for not wanting your ex to have the originals. You should always keep those.

    Answer by Kathy675 at 11:48 PM on May. 22, 2011

  • If he sends you the correct forms (and he can find out what they are), then you can go get the card yourself. You do not have to provide those items directly to him. They will want to see them but you can do this. I know because my son was on Tricare for 14 yrs when his dad was in the air force. I had to go renew the card several times. We are divorced. We were not married any longer when his dad joined the air force. He NEVER had to directly have his SS card or his Birth certificate to add him. I provided the needed documents when I went to have the card made.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on May. 23, 2011

  • Find out exactly where he is stationed and get in touch with his Commanding Officer. Sometimes you can get somewhere by contacting the OMBUDSMAN. There are some important documents that you need (paperwork stating that your child is a dependent of his, for example). I don't remember if you need their social security card AND birth certificate. As others have said, you don't need to send him anything, especially if you're in the same area he's in.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 12:23 AM on May. 23, 2011

  • he dnt have to have the original copies so DONT give them to him....n all he has to do is take a copy of the birth certificate to the deers he dnt even have to have the social bc we had to enroll my daughter in deers b4 we even got her social! hes just being lazy n dnt want to so he is neglecting his child when they could have free health care!!!! Call IG on him and file a complaint they will take care of it!!! u can find the number on the internet for wherever he is stationed! IG will get anything done!!

    Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 2:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

  • Ugh, Good Luck

    Answer by sstepph at 2:53 PM on May. 23, 2011

  • I would do as these ladies have done.

    Answer by tazdvl at 3:01 PM on May. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.