How many offenders live by you? How often do you check?

I am curious how often others check the sexual offender registry to see 'who' is living near you? How many live in your neighborhood and if you have any, have you spoken to your neighbors about them? And are you aware the CafeMom has a link to find out at the bottom of the page under Member Resources? *Thanks CafeMom*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• You're only asking about the KNOWN ones....
    As far as I'm concerned anyone is a potential sex offender. No, I don't live my life in a constant state of fear or paranoia but let's just say I'm aware enough not to leave my kids with anyone unless I know them VERY well. I also don't tend to leave my kids alone.

I am a rape survivor and a molestation survivor. The molestation was by my landlord IN MY HOME when I was a kid and the rape was a date rape where my saying "no" repeatedly was ignored; also occurred in my own home.

You never know...
    SantaMom

Answer by SantaMom at 12:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• 3 live in the studio apartments at the corner of our street.
    Anonymous

• thanks I was wondering about how to find them. We have recently moved, we had one for a neighbor where we came from. I just heard the other day that there is one a few house up the road..Great..

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I have 3 that live within about 7 miles of my house. Two of them actually within about 2 to 3 miles. I haven't talked to my neighbors about them, but would if they were closer to my house or the school that my kid goes to.
    Anonymous

• there are 2 that live within a mile of us and 22 that live within 5 miles of us
    Anonymous

• there is one across the street from me. He's been there for about 3 years. I check about once a month. BUT I did find out that there is a moderate risk offender that works at a McDonalds with a play place, and the best part of that is there is a McDonalds that is closer to his house that doesnt have a play place. I called to ask about that and they blew me off. I wasnt happy about that one bit, and havent been back since.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I HAVE ONE THAT LIVES IN THE HOUSE ON THE BLOCK BEHIND MY HOUSE. THERE ARE ALSO 2 MORE THAT LIVE 3 MILES AWAY, 2 BLOCKS APART FROM ONE ANOTHER. I CHECK EVERY 2-3 MONTHS
    MIXED

Answer by MIXED at 11:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Holy Crap Amber1109, I can't believe they blew it off! Didn't McD's just have an issue where they hired a sex offender and the guy got fired and tried to sue or something? They could transfer him to the other one easily I would think. He is a liability (if it's a he, I am guessing). Do you have some friends and neighbors that could take up for that cause?
    Anonymous

• Dear God I just searched it and I have 32 with in 2 miles of my home!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• i use to check during down times when i worked...my city has it set up so that there are VERY few sections an offender can live in. luckily i live across the street from a high school so i dont have to worry as much. theres a 2000 ft buffer zone.
    i just checked & there are 6 in my town & none are near me. also, they are all listed as indecent exposure or position of kiddie porn...no rape. isnt wonderful but its better than it could be!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2008