Is this common of an Autistic child

My 8 year old son peed in the trash can in his bathroom and say's he can't remember why he did it. He does things all the time and says he can't remember why he does things. It is driving me crazy.

sweetangie79

Asked by sweetangie79 at 11:44 PM on May. 22, 2011 in General Parenting

• I raised an ADHD child that went through a period of doing that. I know the frustration. We had to be very stern about it, and consistant. Even a child with problems has to learn what is and isn't acceptable unless they are mentally incapable of grasping the concept.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:52 PM on May. 22, 2011

• I think it's a kid thing. My son is 7 1/2, is not autistic, IS incredibly intelligent, and does similar things. It drives me absolutely crazy/up the wall.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:03 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My 5 year old pooped on the sidewalk in broad daylight, and she is not autistic...so I don't know if I can say its an "autistic thing".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I think it is more of a kid thing than an autism thing. I don't know about other autistic kids, but mine (who is on the spectrum) has never done that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have three on the spectrum and none of them have ever done this. Be thankful it wasn't in the toy box or on the carpeting.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I used to work with a kid on the spectrum that would do things like that because he liked the diffence in sound (toilet/trashcan/bathtub/wood floor, etc). I'd put up a sign above the toilet that says urine goes here with a pic of the toilet. When he does go somewhere else, start teaching him how to clean it up himself (I always recommend using natural cleaners with kids, like vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, etc.).
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:47 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My ds,9, is autistic and has not done this, but he has a thing about going just any where any way. But he has done other things that make me scratch m head. I think it's an impulse issue and not having a "why" for what he does. It's a prime example of "it was a good idea at the time!" lol. Maybe a social story of why we use the commode to "go" (sanitation, mess etc). GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:15 PM on May. 26, 2011