How do I keep my 9 month old on a schedule when she's teething?

My 9 month old has been having troubles sleeping due to teething and everytime I try to put her on a schedule it seems like she's either teething, has a rash, or she's sick. My doctor says I need to sleep because it's making me too stressed but being that I'm a single mom with nobody to help me makes it hard. Is there anything I can do to make her sleep through the night?

Mutter2ist

Asked by Mutter2ist at 10:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tryed teething tablets? they work wonders and you might be able to get her on a schedule then
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My son is going through the same thing and my dh and I are having troubles getting him on a schedule. We tried the teething tablets and tylenol (not at the same time) and neither of them worked. It's tough and we both don't get enough sleep, it's worse for me because I'm pregnant, but we just get through it and he will stop for awhile. Our son gets up constantly through the night and it's a pain. Our son has a runny nose from teething so I would turn the hot water on in the shower and wait for the bathroom to steam up and I sit in there for awhile with him to clear up his sinuses. That seems to help.
    Anonymous

• No. There is nothing you can do to make her sleep through the night.
    Co-sleeping is the best way to get the sleep you need, co-sleeping babies wake up less, and you don't have to run across the house to tend to them, but it by no means makes it so they don't wake up at all.

Schedules are rules made up by parents who don't want to take care of their kids. Your child does not need a schedule. A routine is all you need.

If you allow her to go to bed when you are ready, you get the extra hours.. I will simply never understand how a parent can put their kid to bed at 7pm, go to bed at midnight themself, and then complain that their child is up at ungodly hours..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 11:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• co-sleeping makes it easier to get your rest when she's not feeling well. find out if you can try motrin at bedtime instead of tylenol.....teething tablets rock!!!.....

and to the poster who has an issue with a baby being on a schedule as opposed to a routine, ever think that not everyone considers those to be 2 different things?
    rjdorsey

Answer by rjdorsey at 2:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• We are still going thru this with my DD I got probably about 2 hours sleep last night. I wish I could tell you that there is something you can do. I do suggest co-sleeping at 9 months that helped us alot and do know once the teeth break it will get better. My DD when she's teething at times I was lucky if she took a 1/2 nap during the day but once she was feeling better she goes right back to her schedule or routine whatever anyone wants to call it I think is pretty much the same.
    Besides the teething does your baby sleep thru the night normally?
    Jackie01

Answer by Jackie01 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• "and to the poster who has an issue with a baby being on a schedule as opposed to a routine, ever think that not everyone considers those to be 2 different things?"

No. Because they are two incredibly different things, so why would I assume others would use the words interchangably?
    A schedule is done by the clock. A routine is loose and based on the child's needs/wants. It is basically the same events occuring (ie: bath, nakie time, snack, quiet playtime, booby for bed, rocking) but without a set time for each, and allowing for variances.. (ie: if not tired, then allow for another half hour of play and more rocking..)
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2008