What am I supposed to do about fleas?

I despise using chemicals but my dog and cat both have fleas. I use a supplement made of garlic but it takes time for or to build in their systems. Meanwhile they are miserable. Is Advantage safe enough for my family if I use it on my pets?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Pets

• YES! I love advantage. I'd rather use that on my pets than spray chemicals all over my house to rid them from my carpet. GL Fleas are the pits
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 12:59 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I use K9Advantix.Its easy and always works.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:01 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Have you thought about the monthly flea prevention pill? It's called Comfortis. Unfortunately, I only know about dogs. Now they have actually combined Comfortis and the monthly heart worm prevention pill. It's called Trifexis. I love it. Never have to worry about those fleas!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:04 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Call your veterinarian they sell pills that your dog or cat can take once a month to kill fleas (about $20). We use conformus I think its spelled like that. But i like it better than the chemicals that can irritate their skin.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 1:05 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You can bathe the dog in Dawn, baby shampoo, or pantene. Diatomaceous earth is a natural flee treatment, it can be found at hardware stores and feed stores.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:05 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I am using Trifexis because it is also a heartworm preventative, but you can also use sevin dust in your lawn to kill it to
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 1:08 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I still don't know how exactly or why it works but I was told to give my pets oil of oregano for fleas and I tried it. It took about two or three days, one pill a day, and my cat was no longer scratching and licking like crazy. Also for some reason putting salt on carpet helps a lot. Flea Meds. actually didn't seem to work as good as the oil of oregano for us. We used flea shampoo when we washed them too.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:46 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I use comfortis, it's a pill, so no residue on the fur and skin of your pet. Like, you I tried various natural remedies, but the fleas are hard to kill and can get out of control fast. I prefered no fleas over no chemicals. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 4:51 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I use frontline plus! It works great and is totally safe around the family!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I've used Frontline and Comfortis. I like them both. Using Dawn detergent actually works very well, but you'll probably have to spray your carpet and furniture with some type of treatment to kill the rest of them and their eggs. Good luck.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:45 PM on May. 23, 2011