sleeping at night

my 3 week old is so stuffed up right now that it interferes with his sleeping. Any advice on what I can do for him? we clean out his nose right before he goes to sleep and whenever we hear it stuffy, but he's not getting a lot of sleep and has been a little moody. We also tired putting a washcloth with baby vicks rubbed on it in his bassinet to help him breathe and that doesn't seem to be working either. anyone have advice?

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well you can put a humidifier by the bassinet... you can use saline (sp) drops in his nose which is just warm salt water. we would just put it in a surenge (sp) and then suck it back out. It worked for dd. Good Luck!!
    augustmommy08

Answer by augustmommy08 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Let him sleep in his car seat, so that way, he is propped up. That's what I did for my son when he was sick...at 3 weeks. It helped a lot with his breathing. He is 5 weeks now.
    krystlzd3

Answer by krystlzd3 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You could turn on the hot water in you shower and let the bathroom steam up and sit in there for 5-10 minutes with him and it will clear his nose up. I did that with my son.
    MamaslilAngels2

Answer by MamaslilAngels2 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• You can put the baby vicks right onto his chest. We just went through this with my baby. We let him sleep in his swing so he was sitting upright.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I was told by my dr that putting vicks on the baby is too much when they're that young. My DD is 6 weeks, and started the same thing last week. We put a humidifire in her room, Vicks on the rag is a good step, have him in his bouncer when you shower, but make sure he's sleeping elevated. Either in his sweing (if you have one) or in his car seat. He's probably going to get a cough too, just to warn you...it's horrible!
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• steam works wonders! you can even add a few drops of essential oils like eucalyptus(sp?) to the water tank to help ease the congestion.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2008