Lost cat question...

A week ago from today our indoor/outdoor cat went missing. He is about 9 years old so when he goes outside he is only gone for 30 min maybe and always stays in the veiwing distance from our house. Every day and night we search for him. We've posted missing cat ads and checked every humane society close.... Is it time to give up? or what else can we do?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 1:45 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Pets

• We also have indoor/outdoor cats, and they cause us a great deal of anxiety when they stay out longer than usual.

One cat went on walkabout and we didn't see her for the entire 3 months of summers FOR THREE SUMMERS! (Possibly she found a summer family to live with, but I'm rather inclined that she decided to be wild kitty and head for the hills).

Another cat didn't come home for two days and we went looking for him at his favorite places...and found a big pile of his hair on the top of a hill, but no cat. We found a few feathers nearby, and in our minds he was carried off by one of the local eagles after a noble fight to the death.

It sounds to me like you've done all you can do. Now cross your fingers and hope your cat went on walkabout, too!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:00 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Our cat Mister was missing for about a week before we found his body. We too knew his routine and it was not like him to come home. Sad to say we found Mister in the yard across the street being eaten by a stray dog. We were so angry cause we had complained about these stray dogs just to find out they closed our local dog pound for numerous violations. With no back up plans on how to help our small city with the stray dog population going out of control our poor kitty fell victim to one of those strays. We chased the stray off and recovered the body and buried him. We will miss him dearly and I think of him often. We still have one cat her name is Cleo. She stays close to home and we have found her away to hide from the strays if we are not around. But my heart also aches for the strays cause irresponsible owners are the reason there are strays in the first place.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 2:06 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I hope you find your cat
    . Good Luck!!!!!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 2:07 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you've done everything as a responsible pet owner. Hopefully the cat will return soon.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:08 AM on May. 23, 2011

• we lost ours too and it's been months sometimes indoor outdoor cats turn stray and wild and there's nothing you can do
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 8:38 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i kno how you feel my kitty that i had for 8 yrs recently disappeared.he normally didn't go outside but for some reason the few weeks before he went missing he started to go outside,i thought just to check things out you know be curious.i never let him out he always snuck or ran.i still feel bad and have looked and asked all my neighbors if they have seen him.my mom said that maybe he was sick and wanted to die somewhere and not in the house.i don't know tho.im sorry to hear about your kitty..i hope he returns soon safe and sound.

twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 12:22 PM on May. 23, 2011

• try craigslist, my friend lost two of his dogs in downtown Toledo OH and i told him to look there and he found them in the missing ts section!!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 12:44 PM on May. 23, 2011

• craigslist is a good place to start. and stay in touch with the humane society. Cats are usually pretty resilient. it's only been a week. if someone found him they may be keeping him inside and posting on Craigslist
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 3:11 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Check your local newspaper to for found pets-people can usually post a found pet ad for free. I hope he is back home soon.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 5:16 PM on May. 23, 2011