Piercings/tatoos/and circs....

Are these all or nothing decisions when it comes to age requirements?? Should ALL of these decision be left to consenting adults only or should concessions be made based on personal choice and/or culture? Some in CA are trying to introduce a law that bans circumcising on boys. Which begs the question if ALL forms of physical/cosmetic changes to a child's body should wait until adulthood. And wouldn,t this include transgender children and intersex children?

For myself I circumcized (left that decision up to his daddy :), I pierced their ears young (the girls LOL, not the boy), and the other two I havent had to face yet so I dont feel I can make a call....except maybe changing your sex. thats pretty monumental!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:55 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• All I can say is that sounds like One Hell of a Shop! LOL!! Think I'll be staying out of that shop...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:58 AM on May. 23, 2011

• BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! m-avi
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I can see the no tatoos until age 18 as some get really carried away with them and they can't be removed. As for the thing about banning the circumsing of boys in San Francisco...well, it IS San Francisco, which back in the 60's was home to "hippies", flower children, free-flowing pot, lsd and other things. Beautiful city but.....
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Self Body Mutilation has been going on since the beginning of time. Circumcisions were done for hygienic reasons deemed necessary from the the medical profession for what seems like forever.And there is that religion thing associated with  I did it and I'm sure my son is quite happy with his wiener, no complaints or so I've not heard any. I pierced my girls ears at 6 weeks, and are allowing them a second piercing this summer. I'll be getting my 4th and I have tattoos. So does DH.

As long as parents have children, total adult consent with this will not exist. And circumcisions in adult males offer many more risks than when the baby is newborn. Believe me, I've assisted with many and at both ages. I've also assisted with cosmetic plastic repair of young girls ears that were ripped apart from the earring/playground combination and repair of torn holes from drunk adult women with huge earrings.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:25 AM on May. 23, 2011

• cont... IMO, families need to do what works for them and their history and culture and others need to mind their own business and keep their mouths shut.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:26 AM on May. 23, 2011

• No tattoos until 18 is pretty normal. Kids would otherwise go in and get some tattoo that by the time they are 18 they wouldnt like anymore. Circumcision is a medical decision parents should be allowed to make without the government getting involved. Even if San Fransisco is able to pass this ban it would be quickly challenged on the basis of religion at least. There are religions that tell their followers to do this by the time their child is 7 days or 10 days old, cant recall which. It is just another example of a state trying to nanny its residents. Frankly I dont understand how anyone still wants to live there.

Answer by gemgem at 9:37 AM on May. 23, 2011

• to do this by the time their child is 7 days or 10 days old
    ----
    The Bible IS amazing, isn't it?
    This was supposed to be mandated by God that circumcisions were done on the 8th day.
    Why?
    Well back then because God said so.
    Now that we have lab tests, we know that on the 8th day a newborn babies clotting factor is higher than at any other time in their life naturally.
    allowing for the safest circumcision to be performed with almost no bleeding.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:40 AM on May. 23, 2011

• IMO I would rather and will be letting my son decide on his own. there is less chance for mistakes with a fully grown mature male where the male will know how much he wants taken off and they (the doctors)wont have to guess how much to take off wondering how big it will be or how much to take off will effect the penis. there is a risk of any COSMETIC / other surgery so whether they are a new born with out the pain med's (topical pain med's don't take all the pain away ) or an adult the surgery is going to have risks
    mommyof0210

Answer by mommyof0210 at 10:00 AM on May. 23, 2011

• They are ,for the most part, personal decisions made by parents who have hopefully been informed and educated ....but I think there needs to be a law against tattoos for any children under the ae of 18.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:47 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I personally beleive that any cosmetic procedure needs to be left up to the individual person. They should have the right to say what happens to their own body.

I know that religious practices are in place. And I do believe that people have to right to practice their religion, but I say that should not infringe on anyone personal right.

daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:54 AM on May. 23, 2011