How do I prepare my 17mo for the little brother or sister that will arrive shortly after his birthday???

We just found out i'm expecting #2, and the due date is just one week past our DS's birthday!!! He will be just barely 2 years old and I have nooooo idea how he will react. So far, we've told him that mommy has a little baby growing in her belly and to be gentle with me. He pokes my tummy and giggles but i'm sure he can't even grasp the concept. What can i do to help him prepare for this huge change coming? I know we have 8 months to get ready, but it will fly by so quickly....I want to help my little guy be as ready as possible.

ShainaMay

Asked by ShainaMay at 2:00 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• once the newest edition to the family gets here, try your best to get all the hugs, ooohs and ahhhs in when it is bed time with the new baby. He is going to feel out of place and do strange things, he may even try and hurt him or her but not really intentional, just being curious and wondering when "its" gonna leave,lol :) Let him help as much as you can stand, NOT as possible, because of course, being a baby his self will over do it and you'll get upset. Praise, praise and praise some more. You will really have to involve him 10 x as much as before because of the new baby. It will take some getting used too, but it will happen.

Mom of 7. Hope this helps!
    ma6

Answer by ma6 at 2:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Hello hun, I d say the big thing is just involve him in everything as you can around the pregnacy. There are some wonderful books out for younger kids about mommys being proag and such. Also getting him a doll, or if he has a fav stuffed animle show him how you will deal with the new baby but still being able to do things with him. Prtend to feed the "baby" but let him help and be involed as much as posible. Do wht you wld with a baby so he can see wat goes on in a daily rutean. Its going to be hard at first cuz I'm sure he may be jelous but he wll learn mama will always love him too no mater what! Just remb to make it specale for him too this is not only a big change in your life but his as well. The more involved the better prpared in the end he will be.
    Hope this helps hun and congrats!
    Bre

Answer by Bre at 2:09 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would also say show him all the ultrasounds and let him know he is going to be a big brother and you need him to help! Just keep him involved and make sure you give him lots of hugs and kisses and tell him how much you love him all the time. When you get your belly let him touch it and feel the kicks and I love Bre's idea about the "baby" he can practice with. Congrats!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:32 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I kind of misunderstood you, i thaught you were about to have the baby, like now,lol. You have good time to start talking to him and asking him how would he feel with a lil sis or brother. Just keep it simple and let him know that thats whats on the way in mommys tummy. Let him know that youre gonna need his help encourage him to feeling and believing a big brother is the coolest, which he will believe.
    ma6

Answer by ma6 at 2:48 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have 2 18 months apart, and 2 20 months apart - in my case, the older one always ignored the sibling until they were old enough to play with. There was no jealousy, no regressing, etc. It was actually easier I think having them close together than farther apart.

Answer by missanc at 9:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Later on you could get him a baby doll to care for, but it may not all really set in until the baby comes home. When that time comes make it about the older child for awhile. It is some of the best advice I ever got. Make sure he gets one on one time with you and your SO. Plus do some things with just him like going for ice cream, etc. And make him your big helper for any little thing having to do with the baby. Best wishes!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:22 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Maybe a book, or movie about siblings. The doll is a good thing if you don't mind your son playing with them. If you or dad don't like that idea you could get him a stuffed puppy, one of those that barks and walks. Really, no matter how hard you try, you can't prepare them for this addition. Hopefully he won't be upset about it. Some kids are and some aren't
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:10 PM on May. 25, 2011