I feel like his father is the "fun" parent

As I'm sure most you know I have a protection order against my son's father and made him move out. ANyways he gets our sun on sat and sun and on nights I work and can't find a sitter. (court ordered) anyways he always takes him to the zoo and gets to do the fun stuff while I work 6 days a week and don't get home until 4am so I am tired in the morning since I go off such few hours of sleep. I wish I had the time and energy to do so and I feel like my son loves his father more because of that. He will sit and cry when I drop him off at his dad's but he also did the same today when his dad left but only for a minute. (he crys for along time when I leave) He will be 2 next week so is this normal? My feelings are kind of hurt :(

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 2:08 AM on May. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• your child will know all in good time who the "good" parent is. Being "FUN" isnt all there is too pareting... in the meantime just realize that your baby loves you and always will. Let him love his daddy and enjoy seeing him as the "fun" one... it wont last long. kids are smarter then we think. be patient and keep being an amazing mommy. :) xoxo
    tasha94952

Answer by tasha94952 at 2:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I thought my dad was the fun parrent but when I was 23 I got in big trouble and ran right to my mother. I hope that makes you feel better.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:24 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Yes, it's normal but he will figure it out. I had a "fun" parent too but when I was about 7, I saw right through that crap!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:44 AM on May. 23, 2011

• It's okay for him to be the "fun" one right now there has been a lot of change in his life, and I am sure Dad is trying to make it up to him. I know it is hard, but don't take it personal, honestly he would be the same way with a "fun" sitter too. It is hard for you because you know the way his father treated you, but that is not how he is treating your son. Let them love each other. You will be the better person for it. Your son will respect you and you will respect yourself.

In the long run he (your son) will know what an amazing person you are. He will know the choices you made to keep him safe and build a better life for him.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 7:21 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Try to me thankful that your son gets to have fun. It's hard to do it all as a single parent and you are working hard, at odd hours and raising him. Don't worry about the 'fun' parent title, he will always love you best!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I sympathize. My son is 12 and him and his dad are the same way. And has been that way since he was 2 as well. Right now dad may be the fun parent but "FUN" is only fun for so long. He knows mommy has his back so to speak. You kiss boo boo's, make his fav foods, your  finder of all lost toys, shoes, blankies, and sippy cup. Yes dad is cool for the moment but even at this age he knows if he ever bumps his head or skins his knee mommy is the first word out of his mouth. Take it with a grain of salt and be thankful your son is fortunate enough to be exposed to such wonderful experiences. I hope this helps momma.

timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 11:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• It won't take long for kids to pick up on who the better parent is. I go through the same with my daughter, but she is learningcthat mommy is in school and working while daddy is just a nice luxury every few months. I know it hurts now but it'll be worth it in the long run.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 11:41 AM on May. 23, 2011