How do I deal with my 12 year old step daughters attitude??

Help!she does not live with us..the problem is we got her a cell on her bday with the agreement she did good in school..but nw she has this attitude like she gets smart with me in texts,hangs up,or doesnt answer..I want to take her damn phone away until she shows some respect,she also does it to her dad...he says let her chill..idk..grrr

Dollhouse2011

Asked by Dollhouse2011 at 2:16 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• If it were me she wouldn't have a phone until she can show some respect. Respect is huge in my house though.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:31 AM on May. 23, 2011

• ..hmmmm. i can understand your reaction. i'd want to take the damn thing away from her too.. however, she's, pretty much, a teenaged girl.. and teenage girls are bitchy. if it were me? i'd send her a text message reminding her that if she's going to behave like a total ass, she'll be an ass with no phone.. explain that if there's something wrong.. she can vent/talk with you if need be.. but she's to show some respect to her dad and to you.. just explain that she's offended you.. and that you won't lose any sleep at ALL over taking the phone away until she's mature enough to use it without biting the hand that feeds her.
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 2:40 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Hell no. If my daughter doesn't answer then I take the phone away. If she gets smart in texts, I take the phone away. You can bet your dollar that she does not get smart or not answer her phone.....EVER.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:42 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Suspend the phone! You can call the company and make it so she can't make or get incoming calls... see how smart she gets then!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:45 AM on May. 23, 2011

• She would loose the phone and all other privileges until her attitude gets better.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:31 AM on May. 23, 2011

• cut service. problem solved
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:23 PM on May. 23, 2011

• If she is not mature enough to talk politely on the phone then turn it off. Yes as soon as she spoke out of line I would cancel her service. I would love to see how cool she thinks she is when she goes to call or text and the phone doesn't work. LOL!
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 8:45 AM on May. 24, 2011

• Geez. I'm beginning to think that guys all say this kind of thing because they just don't want to deal with it. So you step up to the plate. You got the phone for her, but if she is going to be acting like that then she damn sure doesn't need it. Take it away for a week or so, and if it happens again, take it away from her for two weeks, if it happens again, she loses it for good. Cell phones are privileges, not a necessity (at least not for kids) and if she isn't going to act right then she doesn't get the privilege of havin a cell phone.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:58 AM on Jun. 26, 2011