Whos last name?

im not married but not single but also we fight a bunch whos last name do i give ?

kainesmommybrie

Asked by kainesmommybrie at 3:12 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why don't you hypenate? Even if you and baby's father fight, he's still baby's father... I think I'd hypenate. And should you have to go to court for some reason, it's less likely that baby's last name will have to be changed.

My cousin had a baby, and by the time she was born my cousin and her BF had broken up. (BF wanted her to have an abortion.) She gave her baby her last name, but after she tried to have the baby legitimized his family pitched a fit and the baby's last name was changed. He's a dead beat dad, but his daughter (only biologically, cousin's new hubby is raising her) has his name. It isn't fair to my cousin or her little girl.
    mrsjon

Answer by mrsjon at 3:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• With my first child I gave her dads last name but regret it, because my second has a different last name. If I had to do it over I would use my name until I married the dad
    judith106

Answer by judith106 at 3:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My grandaughter doesn't have either one of her parents last names because they could agree on which one to use. In Utah, where she was born, you can give your baby any last name you choose. Her first and middle names are for Marilyn Monroe and Robert Kennedy. Her last name is for the model Betty Page.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 4:08 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I did not know that about UTAH
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 4:18 AM on May. 23, 2011

• In Texas you can choose the baby's last name too. My DS has my grandparents last name. Even when my DH adopts him we are not changing it as my son is the last male on my side with the name.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:28 AM on May. 23, 2011

• My rule has always been if I don't have your last name (meaning we are not married) then neither will our child. It's funny now because my husband and I had a baby before we were married so I followed my rule and gave her my last name. We were married a year later and she still only has my last name. Therefore, I only changed my last name to his and kept my maiden name as my middle name. Whenever I sign something for her, I just use my middle name.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:59 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i gave my dd her dads last name and i regret it big time its so hard for ppl to understand that we have diffrent names like a our docs office i always have to ask whos name do you need mine or hers..i am goin to have her names changed to my name now shes only 3 so the change wouldnt matter to her i made thAT mistake once and wont do it again wit this one..unless we r married the baby will have my name and we can change it later
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm having the same problem except if my problem doesn't get better my child won't have any name that SO has picked out. If he isnot present at birth then he will not get his name at all!!!
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 8:38 AM on May. 23, 2011

• im having the same problem, but he is her dad and no matter wht she will have his last name, bc even if he isnt around tht much, his family will be and i think some of thm are more excited thn he is...
    Daph2387

Answer by Daph2387 at 8:57 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm not sure what the rules/laws are where you live but I would give the child my last name. Thats what I would do.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:52 PM on May. 23, 2011