Did anyone else have trouble sleeping with a newborn?

my daughters almost 3 weeks old. and since ive had her i cant sleep. even though im insanely tired. i maybe sleep a total of 3 or 4 hours a day. i wake up feeling horrible, but i cant seem to fall asleep for a nap, or go to bed early. and even when i do fall asleep it takes me so long that im only asleep maybe 30 mins before my daughter is up to eat. (she wakes every 2 hours) is this normal?

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 3:23 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. that's how it usually is with newborns. i don't miss those days at all although they are so cute!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:42 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i didn't fall asleep til i was dog tired cause i always thought once i went to sleep it would be time to wake up to feed the baby again. my body would literally shut itself off for me to sleep. lol.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:44 AM on May. 23, 2011

• i was always too wound up to sleep. don't worry, mama, your body will adjust to having a baby in your life. congrats!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 4:57 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Are you a first time Mom? Cause thats exactly how I was with my daughter, any tiny little noise woke me up! In time it got better, I ditched the baby monitors and it helped ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wasnt prepared for all the noises babies make, and having the monitor on just made her normal noises seem like something was wrong I was forever in her room checking her.......our rooms were close enough that i could hear her without it. As you become more accustomed to being a Mom it will get better! Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 5:33 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Ugh! The first 6 weeks were the hardest for me! I am glad I had dh to help out when he could! Since I nursed, he had diaper duty... that helped a lot! Do you have any help? Having help lifts some burden and gives you some piece of mind, possibly helping you sleep better! Good Luck!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 5:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• yeah it's very normal. I can't sleep at first too, even I do fall asleep I feel like I never recover. The only time I can fall asleep and waking up refresh is taking motrin before bed, but make sure you don't have to get up in 2 hours tho maybe have your hubby or someone there to help for a night.

First 2 months are very hard, baby's stomach is so small and gets hungry very often. sometimes could be wet diaper or they wake up to poo or could be anything thaty they wake up at night. I can't sleep at night or day it's very hard and tiring, but things will get better. Cherish the time that she's still little, she'll grow up so fast and don't need you to hold her or feed her any more.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:21 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Yep. One of the "benefits" of motherhood is that you will never really sleep the same way again... you'll get the rest you need in shorter spurts and you will re-prioritize so as not to exhaust yourself.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 AM on May. 23, 2011

• yeah thats the way it was with my two kids and im sure it will be the same when i have my 3rd
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 6:18 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm the same way. My husband can sleep through anything, but I'm up if she so much as sighs while sleeping! She's only 10 days old, so I'm not getting my hopes up as far as sleeping, but she goes about 4 hours between feedings at night and sleeps 3 hours in between them. I feel pretty lucky. Unfortunately 2 hours is considered normal too though. :/ Just rest assured that it won't last long.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• YES!!!! Totally normal. You can kiss sleep as you knew it goodbye. Mine is 10 mo. and STILL wakes 2 times a night...more on bad nights. I have yet to get 5 hours of consecutive sleep. It is hard to relax and sleep when you know you will just be awakened shortly.....so as I say....you live on STAND BY especially at that age.

I started taking naps WITH my LO at about 3 months....by me holding her and sleeping with her, able to pop a paci back in or whatever when she stirred, we both got a really good 2 hour nap every day. I still do this with her on occasion so I can get a good nap.
    I have friends that swear by co-sleeping and say that their babies would just nurse on demand and basically not even really wake them.
    siren77

Answer by siren77 at 9:51 AM on May. 24, 2011