Does anyone know if university of phoenix is an accredited online school?

_JustMe_

Asked by _JustMe_ at 3:32 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• They are a regionally accredited program, but I can tell you a few realities about them. I took a few classes there. First of all, be prepared for employers to not accept your online degree. They are more expensive then traditional community colleges. They love to talk people into taking out federal student loans, when I went there one class was 950 dollars for 8 weeks. If you plan on transferring to different school they will not accept most of your credits from UoP. I transferred to University of Hawaii recently and only one of the 4 classes i took transferred.

I actually watched a documentary last night called College Inc. and they address all of the for-profit schools like UoP. That's why all of this is so fresh in my mind.

Also, so many community colleges offer online courses anymore that you don't really need the UoP to go to school online.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 3:43 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Don't do it. I had a friend go to them and she has over 10 thousand in fed loans from them for just over 3 years. He degree is not even accepted anymore and they call and harass her 23 hours a day.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 4:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• don't do it. waste of time. I got through 5 classes with that school and I had to quit because the so called "classes" they had me take were so ridiculous.
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 4:49 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I work in HR & whenever people come in to apply for a job with a degree from there, I laugh at them in my head (can't do it out loud). We do not hire them at all 'cause you can't prove they did the work or someone did the work for them...we don't really hire off degrees anyways, we hire off experience.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:14 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:02 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Wow laugh at them really? I have a BS in Criminal Justice and people do hire them. My sister also has her Masters from there and she is doing just fine. I am no longer working because I had to stay home for my son but yes they are expensive as is any college.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have not heard good things about it-
    I would go with a community college if you can
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:32 AM on May. 23, 2011

• It's an accredited school....but I agree, in most cases the degree will not even be taken seriously. You can get a masters and jujubean said and perhaps that will be looked on, but many of their programs are certificate programs and those are 100% JUNK. Been there, done that, never got hired.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:09 PM on May. 23, 2011

• thx ladies, i appreciate the insight
    _JustMe_

Comment by _JustMe_ (original poster) at 1:26 PM on May. 23, 2011

• I went there- they are accredited. BUT most businesses won't accept a degree from them, most colleges wont accept a single credit from them should you want to transfer, and they are super over priced.

You'll find that most local colleges and university are a fourth of the cost, and have degrees that are offered 100% online. Once you get that degree no one will ever be able to tell if you went to an in person class, or via internet.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:35 PM on May. 23, 2011