How to stage my dinning room?

We want to put our house on the market soon and have a few setbacks as far as the setup of our house. We have a "formal" dinning room that is in between the living room and kitchen. We have never used it as a dinning room but as a play room/exercise room. In order show potential buyers our home do we needed to clear out that room and set it up as a dinning room? What is the best way for us to stage this room?

We want out now and we are going to set the price well under the tax assessed value and even what we paid for it just to get out!!!

MamaSin-dRN

Asked by MamaSin-dRN at 5:35 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We do the same for our dining room:) It's the kids' playroom. We wouldn't dare let 3 toddlers eat in a room that has white carpet like our formal dining room does.

But for staging, I would definately suggest putting in the table and chairs, even a china cabinet or something like that. The appropiate paint and pictures on the wall for a dining room would also help.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:39 AM on May. 23, 2011

• HGTV has a few shows on staging but I can't remember the names of them. I think one is Designed to Sell.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:54 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Watch designed to sell.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• You can get those large cardboard-like tables and a cloth, or I have seen shows where they got a garbage can and put a glass round on top, then cover with a tablecloth. If the room is not too large, you wouldn't even need a china cabinet. Set the table with nice dishes, like you're ready for a party, and some fresh flowers. You can even buy cloth covers for folding chairs.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:16 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree with others that it needs to show like a dining room. About pricing......... Look at what similar homes have sold for in your area recently. That is what the price should be based on. If you have a realtor they can show you many comps. Or you can find out this info online or at the town offices. Be good to yourself and base it on recently sold properties not the tax value. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:05 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Make it look like a dining room, even if you have to rent the furniture. Good luck with a quick sale.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:17 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Exactly what everyone else said. Make it look like a dining room. Including a small table and 4 chairs. (If you have to temp. rent - rent furniture). Set the table with either a table cloth or placemats, place settings and a couple of candles in nice candle holders to make it more formal. And you don't need a fancy china cabinet - put a nice wooden dresser with table linens and silver in the drawers and a runner across the top with and pretty vase of fresh flowers.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I would put in the table and chairs, a china cabinet, pictures
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 4:32 PM on May. 23, 2011

• Look up pictures online
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2011

• I would clear it out and put a small dining table and chairs in with some flowers, and maybe a large mirror on one wall.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:33 PM on May. 26, 2011