Spend more to waste less?

My son is a picky eater especially at school, I'm lucky if he eats a school lunch once a week or even twice a month. What I have been doing is buying a loaf of bread and making 5 or maybe 6 bp&j sandwiches from one loaf BUT then I cut the crust off all around each sandwich and freeze then (lol I make my own uncrustables) but I went to our local bread store and 2 free packages of wheat bread (round sandwich bread) he LOVES them, I need to go and price check and see what a package of I think 6 or 8 goes for because I there is no crust so I'm throwing what seems like a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the bread of just crust (told my husband I should save it and throw it in a bag and go feed birds but it has pb&j on it...oh well if it comes down to it just so it doesn't go to waste) So what should I do I'm guesing it costs more for the round bread then a loaf but I won't be wasting anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on May. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Use the crusts as yours and your husbands lunch.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:08 AM on May. 23, 2011

• you can cut the crust before you make the sandwich then the crust can be used to make bread crumbs for meat loaf, meat balls, hamburgers, chicken nuggets...anywhere you would normally use bread crumbs. Just toast it and then put it in a blender/food processor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 AM on May. 23, 2011

• But_Mommie I love your idea, thanks. OP i just cut the crust off, I think the round bread is too expensive. I have put their sandwiches on hot dog and hamburger buns. Same idea and probably same price. I actually dislike giving in to that particular eating habit but I will indulge them on occasion.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:12 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Just leave the crust on. Really is it that difficult to eat the crust of a sandwich? I was never indulged like that as a child and my child has never had a sandwich with out crust either and she is approaching 3. She will be told if and when she ever asks that she is to eat the crust as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:14 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I like the bread crumb idea or... having them learn to eat the crust.. I wouldn't spend more just to indulge a child.. unless you want to then by all means, they make it!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 10:29 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I agree cut the crust off first. I never have liked crust and neither do my kids and that is how I do it. I just cut the crust off before making their sandwiches at all. We usually use the crust left overs to take to the walking park here and feed the ducks.

Answer by gemgem at 10:30 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Make your own sandwiches ( if you put PB on both breads and jelly in the middle, the jelly doesn't absorb into the bread when freezing) and freeze them. Remove the crusts first and do whatever you want with them! the savings on breadcrumbs daily won't make a difference unless you use breadcrumbs all the time. Feed them to the dog if you have them. I wouldn't buy anything premade like uncrustablles if I could help it. My kids don't like crust either but my dogs do!!
    I don't think wasting the crust is that big of a deal, do what your comfortable with.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:31 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I use the crusts for meatloafs & what not
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• Update: for 8 sandwich flat bread it's $1.50, for the loaf it was $2, so no waste AND less money, whoo hoo
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:26 AM on Jul. 3, 2011