What do you personally know (or do not know) about autism

not a list of signs

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:19 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Quite a bit.I have the pleasure and pain of raising a son with Asperger's. My very best friends has a son who is non-verbal and falls under the diagnosis of PDD-NOS.While my son is verbal and hers is not it is amazing who many of their outward 'symptoms' overlap at one level or another.I know both of these boys are very sweet kids who just have a hard time dealing with things 'normal' children have no porblem with.Sometimes it's hard to watch my best friends son refuse to eat anything other than baby food at 4 and a half. Sometimes it's hard to watch my son play alone on the playground while 40 other children are running around together. Both boys have their quirks but both are very loving and kind. Both are learning more and more how to adapt every day. What I don't know is 1) What causes Autism.There are so many theories all of which have had very limited research.2)Why God chose me to raise this special little boy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:31 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Honestly not much! But my bffs son was just diagnosed as have aspergers, so i will be learning more :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:39 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I know tons of clinical information, but the most important thing I know is that children with Autism don't fit into neat little boxes or lists of symptoms. Each one is unique in their needs and talents, and each one, regardless of ability to communicate it outwardly, is aware of the world around them.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:07 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Sadly not enough.

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 8:13 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I know alot about my son's autism, and am constantly trying to learn more. I agree with Kimedbs. Autism does not fit into a neat little package, because each person diagnosed has their own set of symptoms. I tend to refer to autism as a "designer disability" so that people who are not educated in autism can get a better understanding.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:16 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Personally I do not know a whole lot about it. A friend of mine has two sons, both with different levels of functioning aspergers meaning her oldest son can dress himself but has to be checked to make sure he has on socks, shoes match...etc. She has to help shave him ( he is 20 almost 21 ) and cannot use a razor by himself. Lives with her Mom cause he and his brother do not get along. She keeps them on routine the best she can as a single Mom. Her younger son is a bit more outgoing, and can do for himself a little more.

I really dont understand it and I know it is heartwrenching seeing your child either active with other children or withdrawn in their own world. I was a preschool teacher and it took me months just to have one young boy smile with me on the playground. He stayed by my side.

@ But Mommie>> GOD chose you to raise a special little boy because YOU are special to them both!!!! *hugs*

Good question fiatpax!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 8:33 AM on May. 23, 2011

• The few kids I know are the sweetest children on the planet,
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:35 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I have a child with autism and I am a parent advocate & educator, so I know quite a bit about autism. Sometimes I think more than I want to know.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:39 AM on May. 23, 2011