My 11 week old is eating 40 oz. per day (5 oz. 8 times per day). he is not overweight, do you think he may be ready for cereal early?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 11:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No
    Anonymous

• You should talk to your pediatrician. Cereal isn't kept from babies because they aren't hungry enough -- its because their young digestive tracks aren't ready for solid foods. Though babies go through a lot of growth in the womb - they don't come out "finished" many systems are still under works (like the eyes) and the digestive track is one of those. Some doctors will okay some cereal in formula around 4 months for one meal as a test to see how it's handled... but popular belief is its best to wait until around 6 months on formula fed babies. (My doctor says even longer for BF babies, since the breast milk is preferred for nutrition and health benefits) Keep in mind too, you say your baby isn't overweight - cereal isn't nearly as nutritious as a bottle. It will be a "filler" - which he doesn't need at this tender of an age. You want him to gobble up those calories and nutrients.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• my pedi put my boys on ceral about 2months. they wasnt getting full and had acid reflux...all you can do is talk to your pedi about your concerns.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2008

• No solid food until 6 months.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 12:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• the introduction of solids does not have anything to do with how much(or how little) baby is drinking/eating.
    look for signs of readiness, not the calendar.
    however, it's suggested that you wait until after 6 months to start solids.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:17 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• we started our boy on cereal when he was about 14 weeks old.. and it was so funny, because everytime we would sit down for dinner, we would put him in his high chair, so that he gets used to the idea of what happens at this time of day, and when I was eating and bringing my fork to my mouth, he would open his mouth... he was imitating us. So the next day i went to the store and bought him a small box of cereal. It says for supported sitters, and first time eaters, 1T of cereal to 4-5 T of formula, breastmilk or water. Well, damn, he loved it. About three weeks into it, he had his 4 month check up, and his doctor was so pleased.. my Ped says, mom knows best, no book, or doctor can tell you when to start. But since your baby is under 12weeks, i would inquire, msg me
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• I put my boy on cereal at 16 weeks. Not as early but earlier than the 6 months everyone talks about. I just did it so he would get practice eating with a spoon and get filled up a little more in the evening. But I just give him a little bit once a day. If hes not overweight, though, I really don't think you have to feed him cereal, he should be ok with just milk. But you are the mommy, its up to you!
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 12:50 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• Talk to your doctor. For a breastfed baby, six months is the earliest. But the intestinal flora and gut of a formula fed infant have already been changed permanently...the real issue at this age is the baby's ability to take the food. Spoons only, please...no cereal in bottles.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• wow..in my opinion NO..my dr said to wait til their AT least 4 months..but 6 months is reccommended..i wouldnt start any sooner than 5-6 months..but thats something you need to talk to your dr about..every kid is different
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:27 AM on Dec. 8, 2008

• .......it could be a growth spurt
    we started our son on cereal between 4 and 5 months, he didnt like it but he would eat stage 1 baby food just fine. I'm surprised your baby is drinking 8 oz already, my son just started taking 8 oz but that's in addition to regular foods, he's almost 1. i took my cues from him, but i do believe 11 wks is too young for cereal, give it at least another month.
    rjdorsey

Answer by rjdorsey at 2:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2008