How can I make friends?? Advice pls!!

I live in a sh*t community around a military base because my husband is military. It's hard to make friends because around military bases because it's hard to weed out the good ones from the crazies. The majority of what I do is sit with my son at home or go for walks with him while my husband works. I really need some friends, some conversation besides baby talk and coos (don't get me wrong, I love this but it's all I really get throughout the day)

How can I make some friends?? (Advice on ways to safely meet people)
I'm not going to jeopardize my or my sons safety by meeting up with random people on craigslist (I know some people here who have and I find that odd for me IMO)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on May. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Are there any programs that you can attend, say at the library? I have met some of the most amazing women through my local library just by taking my daughter to their children's programs or playing in the children's area. There's always the risk of everyone not being a good egg but I find it happens less when you meet people through a location or activity that you like.

Good luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:51 AM on May. 23, 2011

• Library's story hour, church, and mom or play groups through meetup.com
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:59 AM on May. 23, 2011

• There ae crazies in all communities, not just military bases. Its probably the primary reason many of us don't have friends which is why some of us turn to online communities such as Cafe Mom. Good luck in your search and stay safe.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:07 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I'm sure there is a group for miitary wives on here. Find it, join it, and see how other military wives do it. You can also try to find some that are in your area. You can try to connect with women like you in other groups, too. You never know what or whom you will find things in common with. The women on CafeMom are pretty genuine and trustworthy. If they aren't, they would be asked to leave or banned from the site by the administrators.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:18 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I met my friends I have now¬†through the FRG and after DH and I moved into our first place in Killeen after we were married,¬†we had a BBQ and I got to meet the other wives. When we moved on Fort Hood I became friends with a couple neighbors as well. We also lived on post at our current duty station (Fort Carson) and I quickly became friends with neighbors, DD was in the same grade and classroom as a mom who lived across the street from me, so our kids would spend time together inside and outside of school. I would also let DD go to the neighbors next door to me (on both sides) for playdates and sleep overs.
    It's not hard to make friends. I agree with rosiemendo, there are several groups for military wives here on cafemom, join one of them and maybe you'll find some women in your area.
    Holtswife24

Answer by Holtswife24 at 8:33 AM on May. 23, 2011

• I met most of my real friends on here actually. I found some local groups and one of the ladies invited me to a playgroup (it's at a public place). I had a friend from my DH's command and asked her to come with me. We both have been going since then and it's been about 3 years now. Maybe try finding some groups on here that are local to your area and start a playgroup in a neutral place. Or go to the FRG and see if anyone wants to start a playgroup. Not all of us military wives are crazy (at least in a bad way, lol).
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:20 AM on May. 23, 2011