I am breastfeeding and formula feeding. My question is I want to just feed breastmilk but my supply sucks. My right is producing almost 2 ounces and my left isnt evan producing a half an ounce. Could it be my pump (Lansinoh) or my boob? I would Love it if my left could keep up with my right. I am also taking fenugreek and it made my right produce more but not my left.

starzjs

Asked by starzjs at 1:02 PM on Jul. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My right one always produced more too. I tried pumping the left more so it could catch up but it didn't work.
    My pump is a Medula Pump in Style. It was about $250, I think. You can get them cheaper used. It works great. You can also rent pumps. I rented the hospital grade Mebedula for the first month and it wasn't any better than the one I own. I think it was $25 to rent for one month. If you did that, then you'd know if a better pump will help.
    Another thing I did was always pump after he nursed. And let the pump run a while after you've stopped getting your milk. That tells your body to make more milk.
    Good Luck!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My understanding is that they produce what is needed. When my baby is sick and doesn't nurse as much my supply goes down. When she feels better it takes a couple of days for it to go back up. Just nurse more and the supply should increase. good luck
    shellsbells1108

Answer by shellsbells1108 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• When I pumped one produced more than the other too I tried to pump more frequently on the side that produced less but it didn't help. Call the hospital you gave birth at and ask to speak to the lactation nurse they were very helpful for me.
    astallman72

Answer by astallman72 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Lots of women have more luck squeezing out milk by hand... My son could drink milk ALL day off of either boob, but as soon as I started pumping, I couldn't get more than 2 oz out. Keep trying with the pump, maybe try a new one... I don't have any "real" advice, but if you stick with it, you'll find something that works for you.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Pumping is NOT an indication of how much milk you have. Keep nursing if you can. you won't be able to tell how much your baby is getting EVER it just comes with breastfeeding. Also, i don't know if you're bottle feeding the breast milk, but the BEST way to up milk supply is to nurse. that's the only way you'll up your supply effectively.
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 4:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• If you want to go back to only breastfeeding don't supplement with formula. Breast milk is supply and demand and if you supplement with just one feeding it tells your breasts to produce less. The comment before mine about the pumping is true. I can't pump much at all right now maybe not even an ounce when I tried about 2 months ago and my son weighs almost 20 pds and he is 8 months old. A pump can't get the milk out as efficiently as a baby. You can up your supply by forgoing the formula and you and baby spend the next couple of days resting and nursing, nursing, and nursing. Also to add if yor are pumping around 2 - 2 1/2 ounces at a time. That is considered good. Contact your local La Leche League they are wonderful and can steer you in the right direction
    amandantravis

Answer by amandantravis at 7:03 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Step 1 - Go to a breastfeeding website, and do some of the things they suggest
    Step 2 - If its not picking up, make an appt with your Dr., and just tell him "look, I've tried all these things, and its not helping" If you let him know that you're not ready to stop, and you will do anything, ask him if he can write you a prescription to help. My Dr. gave me reglan, and it doubled my milk in like, 2 days, and prob. tripled that in a week. You have to feed like crazy, and pump like mad, though.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Not everyone can breastfeed and my people here sucked. People say you have to feed a lot. Well I sat on bed for days...4 hours straight feeding my son and it wasn't enough. They didn't believe i was feeding him for that long straight but I really was. BY the time they said for me to buy a pump and get on prescription meds and that herbal stuff I was fed up. I was still only producing 6cc total. It's not your pump it's your body. If you want to take meds to produce milk then that is great....keep trying. The lactation nurse here told me it would take about another 2 weeks to get milk in good to feed him. Good luck with it...I hope it works out for you.
    musik32

Answer by musik32 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You need to make sure and take your prenatal vitamins and drink lots of water. That may help increase your supply. Keep trying, dont give up. It will come second nature...
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 8:12 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Nurse on the left, right, then end with the left again. In between feedings, pump even when no milk is coming out.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:34 PM on Jul. 11, 2008